Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High Water Crappie report

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Water Crappie report

Monsoon season took a couple days off, so I had to take advantage of it. Had a great weekend, starting out by taking a vacation day Friday to go crappie fishing. Fished Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Water: one of our small local lakes
    Water temp: 60 - 61 F
    Water Color: Stained, almost muddy from runoff
    Water level: almost 3' higher than normal summer level.
    Winds: 13-15mph gusting to 20mph all three days, WSW Friday, W Saturday, S Sunday.

Wore hip boots to launch the boat since the top of the launch was under 8-10 inches of water.

Friday crew: Me and my buddy from up the street.
    Catch for the day: 30 keepers

Saturday crew: Me, my wife, my son.
    Catch for the day: 35 keepers My wife also managed her first bass of the year - a nice 3 pounder.

Sunday crew: Me and my next door neighbor.
    Catch for the day: 10 keepers

75 fish in 3 days - not too shabby. All set for our big Father's Day fish fry!

Bait - 1.5" tubes with 1/32oz internal jigheads under bobbers, chartreuse was best color all weekend. We tried fatheads Friday, but they weren't producing at all.

Fish were holding in bushes that are normally on the shore, but are currently in 2 feet of water.

The wind made boat control difficult, but we managed to keep close enough to shore to make accurate casts next to the bushes and get the fish without hanging up too many times.

The water had come down an inch or two by Sunday, but the rain is back, so we'll still have high water for a bit longer.

Tight lines!

Post Thanks / Like

Joejv... thanks for the info! I really wanted to go Sunday, but had other things to do thus limiting my time had I went. Last I went (Sunday before last), I fished 2 hours (if that long) and caught 4 bass!

I'm looking to drop a line this upcoming weekend (weather is really a problem the entire spring!). I ordered and received a bunch of 1.5" tubes, so I will be trying them (I mostly use 2" tubes/ Garland Slab Slayr).

Weather is so crazy. Wind & Rain ... or Rain & Wind .. Sunny & Wind. With all the time passing by, I'm wondering if the fish will have already spawned by the time I get a chance to go after them! Normally drop a line mid March or early April ... it's now May and I've only been once (2 hours)!!!

HELP!!! .. :p Rofl

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch, for these conditions. how about some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
    Nice catch, for these conditions. how about some pics.
    I'm pretty bad about pics when it comes to crappie fishing - they go into the bucket while I'm out, then when I get home they go from the bucket, to the cutting board, to the freezer.

I'm hoping maybe to get out for an hour or two after work tomorrow - if the weather cooperates. I'll see about trying to take a few photos. Seneca River is still a mess, the water was back over the sea-wall at Davaney's this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

just saw where they closed seneca and onieda river and onieda lake to boating. until further notice.