Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mark Twain 4/28 - 5/1

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Mark Twain 4/28 - 5/1

Made our annual trip to Mark Twain Lake this past weekend. Got on the lake around 2:00 on Thursday. We were working under the notion that the crappie were on the banks already. This was not the case. With the weather they had moved off the banks. We were staying at Indian Creek and with the wind, we decided not to run down the lake, but we did make it to Pigeon Roost. We only had a few keepers by Thursday night. Friday was a different story. The wind had died down (some) so we made a run to North Fork. Started in a south cove and came up empty. Then moved to a north cove and found a hot spot. It was a small group of trees from the bank out to about 10 FOW. We pulled about 6 or so off of this and kept moving. Using this as a pattern, we kept hitting trees and brush near the shore in 10 FOW. We did OK in North Fork and moved to Middle Fork. We did not do very well in Middle Fork. The reports from the folks in MF were not good either so we moved back to Indian Creek. The pattern held out and we ended up just short of our limit. Saturday there were three of us in the boat and we pulled in 1 shy of 3 limits working the same pattern, dipping trees. We did pull a few out of shallow water, but for the most part we dipped trees in 10 to 20 FOW, about 10 a 12 feet down. Sunday was just good, but only 3 hours and 6 fish a piece.

The best part is we talked to some really great people on the water. Everyone was sharing information and telling each other what they were catching them on and how they were doing it. Lots of people from Illinois a group from North Dakota and a group from Minnesota. Oh, and a course lots of local Missouri folks. Thanks to all the people we talked to. We had a great time and can't wait to do it again.
    Cameron Denison - St. Charles, MO
    Mississippi River Pool 26 | Mark Twain Lake
    White/Black Skeeter and I talk to everyone.
    Thump, Set the Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a great trip, glad y'all had a great time, love talking to people on the water, giving and getting advice. may you have many more great trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a group also ( eight of us ) and 7 of them had the same experience, until I told them if they caught a fish on a brush pile to stay. Used 1/8 oz jigs with Black/Chart and Red/Chart
    Fished 4/28-5/1 at Mark Twain and caught limit every day, fished from 1 to 12 ft of water and found most fish in 4ft range in heavy brush, never had any luck with standing timber. Fish seemed to be moving because if you caught a fish or 2 in a brush pile they would quit but wait for 10-15 minutes and you would catch another 1-2 fish. I can't remember who told me ( might have been oldsilverside ) but they recomended power pro line in high vis yellow 10 lb test, LOVE IT, lost 2 jigs in 4 days and was fishing in heavy brush.
    I Don't Know,but I can always use help

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an enjoyable trip. I am heading over for the first time next weekend (13th - 15th). Have the fish moved in shallow? I am assuming get deep into the creeks to find fish. Staying at Southfork, any advice as to what direction to head would be great. PM me if you want. Thanks - Can't wait to hit MTL!!!
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!