Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Monday at Smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday at Smithville

I fished the lake for the first time in 20 years. Fished shallow and couldn't buy a fish. Talked to a couple of guys in a blue skeeter with a 200 yamma hammer that had 28 all in 8 foot of water. Saw a couple at the W bridge that looked like they were catchin but were tight lipped and didn't seem to want to visit. We fished the deep piles in the first cove south of W on the east side. Caught 10 fish in 21 foot of water and about 14 " deep on a 1/8 Orange head with a black and chart. trailer. Only 3 would have kept, need a least 6 to filet. Going to go to Happy Holler tomorrow. Water temp was 57.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

DohHunter...you did better than I did. My partner had a whitey and I had a whisker crappie! We went up north to twin coves, fished shallow, then deep....in the front of the cove and the back. We finally caught a dink when we fished the cove at the boat ramp.

I had to head out by noon or so. It seems like it is definitely an afternoon bite so far. The warmest water temp I saw was 56. The water up north is pretty stained, true to form.

Keep after them. I'm off next week, so it'll probably drum up some rain all week from Hurricane Alex or something......that would be my luck.Doh

I'm going to try and give it a growl again on Thursday.
    I believe in catch and release.....right into the grease!!!!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you stuck with it and found a few to bite. Full coolers to ya at Happy Holler tomorrow.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the next 10 days will be good fishing on Smithville . We just need some warmer days and nights . These 35 degree nights aren't helping much to warm the water up .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info hope to get out a couple of times theis week. Soon as I do I will post any reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, I was looking at the weather for all next week, and......it looks pretty good! Warmer days, and the nights are MUCH warmer than they've been thus far. Should be just in time for the Smithville Camp!

I know, I probably just jinxed it, but...heck, none of us believed the weather would cooperate anyway, so....

I'm staying optimistic. Mostly because I'm out of town this weekend and hoping to be around for the peak fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I might make it to the camp . I need to get the camper out for the first time since I bought it .

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott, let me know and I'll get you a spot. I will be off work that Friday. Hope you make it!