Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie from bridges

Scrappie Guest

Default crappie from bridges

anyone here fish for them from bridges? a couple lakes around here that people seem to always catch crappie from.i've tried it but just can't get the hang of it any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, once in a while I will go down to a deep canal bridge and fish for Specks below the bridge around the pilings. I use two set ups usually. A jig tipped with a live minnow four feet below a small styro float on an ultralight spinning rod. While that one is drifting down the canal, I'm using a 7.5 foot graphite fly rod with a little spincast reel on it tossing a jig. Using 1/32 oz. jigs either white or chartreuse or pearl braid/gray. Both outfits are 6lb. test mono. Sometimes they bite the minnows and not the jigs, other times they bite the jigs and not the minnows. I just never know which but I can usually get some on one of these .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing proper depth is #1 key, don't really pull up on rod once you find proper depth, just bump your tip and fish close to the concrete as you can,also use a type of jig such as a bass assasin or bobby garland jigs(the best) double jig set up is also a plus put them about 15-18 inches apart,trying 2 different colors til you see what they are biting..GOD Bless and good luck Russ
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught more crappie around bridges than any other structure. Some bridges they only hold there in the winter and some they only hold on in the summer. Try vertical jigging up beside the pylons, but before you try that, always try casting to them first. Sometimes they are high in the water column and if you move in on them it will spook them.

Scrappie Guest

thanks for the tips guys.i may give it a try this weekend.