Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish attractor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish attractor

Somewhere I saw either an article or post on discussion board about using hay bales as fish attractant. Can not find the information. Has anybody used hay? Any recommendation on how best to sink them. Had several bales given to me and I don't have livestock.

Ranger 375
    Located near Lake Shelbyille, IL
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Ranger.......Never used hay as an attractant, but there is a post on the LA thread board under the thread "Bait Sacks?", he uses alfalfa bales and bait sacks. You might contact him for more info.

Post Thanks / Like

That is where i saw post. Thanks Bill glad somebody still has a memory...LOL
    Ranger375
    Ranger375
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish attractors

Hey Ranger. I haven't heard of the Hay attractor but I have heard of doing the classic 5 gal bucket of brush set in quickrete then set a can of dog food with holes punched in the top to attract bait fish which in turn attracts those slabs. Have you heard of this? I haven't tried it but it sounds good, except the part where the can rusts in the water.
    Chris
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of something similar. I have used wife's old hose to place dog food in and then sink to attract baitfish. Can either do this or use plastic bucket with lid and drill holes in to allow dog food to dissolve and attract bait fish. This can be refilled similar to what dear hunters use to feed deer. Want to be sure to place where you can refill but not so that everybody knows what and where you have baited. Set up several locations and can stock buckets and then come back to fish.

Ranger375
    Sullivan, IL
    Ranger375
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of the hay bales, and I mentioned it in a post a while back. Although I've never tried it myself, I've heard that it does work. One guy told me he sinks a hay bale with a can of dog food wedged into the bale with holes in the top of the can. He said the mixture of the dog food and the decomposure of the hay attracts baitfish, which in return attract crappie. If you try it, let us know your results.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of the hay bale thing and they swear it works. The guys that were doing this years ago would let the seeds in the hay actually start growing before they sank'em
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i know in a pond they make a nice floating island when the seed start groeing .
    i read years ago that peanut hay will darken the water to keep grass and moss growing in clear pond water . the hay will act as a small hump till it disintergrate if nothing else . never know till you try .
    retired and now i will always fish

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    i know in a pond they make a nice floating island when the seed start groeing .
    i read years ago that peanut hay will darken the water to keep grass and moss growing in clear pond water . the hay will act as a small hump till it disintergrate if nothing else . never know till you try .
    that should have read to keep the grass from growing .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Any ideas on how to sink the bales?
    Ranger375
    [email protected]