Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wappapello Dam

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wappapello Dam

Just heard from a volunteer fireman, who came from an emergency meeting, that the COE think the dam is not going to hold up.

Good luck to all thats down river and surrounding areas
    Prayers will be with you if it does

Post Thanks / Like

Corey,
    Are you talking about the temporary rock dike, or water overflowing the relief dam?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy I sure hope it doesn't

Post Thanks / Like

Im assuming he's was meaning the dam itself. My parents live down by otter slough n has bn told that they'll be evacuated if it does, but itll take 8hrs for the water to make it to them.

Post Thanks / Like

if that dam breaks it won't take as many hours to reach there with the big rush it will have.

Post Thanks / Like

Just listen to the news and they said nothing about it, hope i didnt ruffle anyones feathers, but this was the second time i had heard it n two days by two different ppl, n thought everyone should know.

Post Thanks / Like

cory, hopefully it never happens. it would flood enough that it would probably jump the big levy down around where we have farmland and that's a long way from the dam. the water there is about 6 ft from the top of the levey now and a lake full coming down the river i would say would put it over there and at other places too up and down the river. if that meeting did take place it looks like it would be all over the news to warn people.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree but my parents live 5 miles from river and up in elevation. My brother talk to a COE guy that works out of the wappapello office in he said they were really worried bout it, then the emerengy meeting today. Just got word their talkn bout the over flow

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal. That would be bad enough. The main levee going would not be good for anyone, and definitely not the guy who made the call to berm up the spillway. I heard that the guy in management back 02 (if I remember correctly) was fired for putting a few rows of sand bags on it then. I have a hard time believing that someone would sandbag or build a berm to, in effect, raise the elevation of the emergency spillway without clearing it with superiors first (or, most likely, getting the order from above)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talltimber View Post
    Good deal. That would be bad enough. The main levee going would not be good for anyone, and definitely not the guy who made the call to berm up the spillway. I heard that the guy in management back 02 (if I remember correctly) was fired for putting a few rows of sand bags on it then. I have a hard time believing that someone would sandbag or build a berm to, in effect, raise the elevation of the emergency spillway without clearing it with superiors first (or, most likely, getting the order from above)
    I had heard the same thing about the guy losing his job in 02. Real glad to hear it is the overflow causing the concerns. I personally havent been put out due to flooding, but your heart has to go out to all those that have been affected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast