Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gibson County Lake - 4/29

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gibson County Lake - 4/29

With the threat of 20+ mph winds tomorrow, and more rain and storms on Sunday, the wife and I took off work a little after lunch today, and headed to Gibson County Lake. First time on the lake. I had never bothered going over there, with all the talk of the low water levels. I figured there HAD to be water in the lake after the week we've had!!!

Beautiful lake. Started out jigging the shallow timber, with no luck. Ended up finding fish suspended at about 10 - 12 feet, in 18 fow. Caught 20, mostly short fish, but we had a blast, and the weather was absolutely perfect. The real surprise, prior to today I had never caught a black-nose crappie. Of the 20 fish we caught today, 3/4 of them were black-nose.

Really hope the lake will hold the water it has in it now. Seems to have the potential to be a good little lake. Talked to a couple of guys who were wearing the bream and shell crackers out. Gonna have to give that a shot within the next couple of weeks... if we ever have another day without gale force winds!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad y'all had a good time Speck. I've fished GC lake a few times for bass, but always wondered what the crappie action was like. I don't think they get much fishing pressure. Everybody seems to go for them green fish over there.

I've never caught a blacknose before. That might be worth a try just to catch one.

I've been keeping an eye on the long term weather. Right now the end of next week looks pretty nice. Maybe this wind will calm down and we can all get on some fish next weekend. Thanks for the report on GC. Glad you posted it.

Post Thanks / Like

George, I fished over there a couple of weeks ago and kept 18 crappie and 4 bass. I had a couple of fish that were over 13 inches, also had some of the black nosed crappie. I had two fish (bass I'm sure) break my line, using 12 ft crappie poles with six lb test line. This lake is certainly one to consider for our fish anywhere tournament.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just glad to have a decent lake so close. I love the mix of flooded timber and open water. If they can just get it to hold some water, I expect good things.