Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much worm?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much worm?

Ok guys we have a 9ft rod a no.8 hook, box of red worms,plenty of lake,full moon,month of may. How much worm do we need on that hook. Gary I

Post Thanks / Like

I like 1/3 of a nightcrawler but you can get'er done with less when they are on the beds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    Ok guys we have a 9ft rod a no.8 hook, box of red worms,plenty of lake,full moon,month of may. How much worm do we need on that hook. Gary I
    I either use a whole night crawler or three red worms at a time. Good Luck!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 to 3 red worms at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Whole redworm; maybe a 1/3 of a nightcrawler.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worms

I use 1 to 2 red worms at a time on a #12 hook I dont like big hooks for gills. Because you can have alot of small gills you need alot of bait. I would go 100 per person per 1/2 day. I have my own compost pile and it is crawling with red worms so i dont buy them any more and dont remember how many come in a cup. But 1 cup is usually just enought for 1/2 day or less but I used to realy end up scrounging and wishing I brought more.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    just enough to cover the hook ?? I always thread my worm on the hook, rather than gobbing the hook up with worms. The fish can see & smell the worm from a good distance ... small ones are going to grab the end of any worm hanging off the hook, and head away from the area - larger fish will usually just suck in the whole thing.
    If you're fishing bedding fish .... and don't have to fish more than a couple of feet deep - try using a tiny float & no sinker, with your #8 hook & worm. The slow fall of a unweighted worm is usually too much for a "gill" to ignore :D ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with crappiepappy. A worm hooked in the middle without weight or cork works good too, just watch your line take off. Watch using too small a hook so they don't swallow it...

Post Thanks / Like

I use crickets exclusive.....might try worms one day.

Post Thanks / Like

We also pinch down the barb when gill fishing so it's easier to release the little ones even if they swallow it. I agree with Pappy on not gobbing up the hook wth a bunch of worms .All you're doing is feeding the fish. Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast