Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Battery Chargers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Chargers

Will someone please tell me,

Whats a good reasonable type of battery charger to get. And what ampage should you use?

Thanx

Is this a good battery charger for my cranking battery, and a deep cell?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6020901399
    Last edited by mighty; 03-15-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

What type and how many batteries do you wish to charge and what kind of recovering time are you looking at? Recovering time being how long it takes to charge the battery back to 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you wanting an onboard or portable? For maximum battery life and convenience, you can't beat an onboard. Bring it home and plug it in, unplug before you leave. Regardless, you want at least 5A, and you want a 3 or 4 stage charger. Sometimes called a smart charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Default MinnKota

I just got a minnkota mk210 from BPS. On sale right now with a rebate. This is a 2 bank 5amp/bank charger. Haven't used it yet. Hooking it up to two deep cycles. Everything i researched and all of the questions i asked the folks at minnkota via email led me to this purchase. Good Luck.
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting Battery

I will be useing either two or three batteries.

One to start the boat one for the trolling motor and one for night lights,ect or maybe I will hook them to the trolling motor.

I am unsure of what kind of batteries I will have.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought my boat, and it has 2 trolling motor batteries and a battery for the electric start on the outboard. Over the weekend, I found out that the onboard charger only had two banks, so the battery for the electric start hadn't been charged in the last 6 or 7 trips I've taken. I've been considering getting a 3 bank charger to charge all of the batteries at once, but for now, I'm gonna buy a cheap 5 or 10 amp charger to charge up the battery for the big motor.

FYI, the onboard charger is a Dual Pro XL 3 stage charger. I hope this helps.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

I had a dual pro charger on my Triton and loved that thing. Just like catfan said just plug in then unplug when you are ready to it the water. They make single chargers all the way up to a four bank i believe. They are worth the money and it take a matter of a few minutes to install it. I think they are 5-10 amp chargers too. best to trickle charge batteries any how.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12V system on my Hydra-Sports bass boat with one battery for cranking and one for trolling, etc. instead of buying an onboard system I opted for 2 Battery Tender Plus units. These are very good chargers. You can Yahoo or Google search and find them for around $40.00-$45.00.
    He among you who is without sin...cast the first stone.

Post Thanks / Like

So, you probably have (1) starting battery and (2) deep cycle batteries, 1 for the trolling motor and 1 for your night gear.

I would go with a 20 amp 3 bank charger. It will have an output for a cranking battery and 2 outputs for deep cycle batteries. Be sure to check the install instructions because you may have to cut a strap on the charger for the cranking battery.

There are many good brands, I use Pro Mariner. They actually make private labeled chargers for many large retailers.

I would select the Prosport 20 Plus. 3 banks 20 amp charger with a two year warranty.

You can absolutely go with a smaller cheaper unit, but it has been my experience that you will end up replacing it every year or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What about this one

I found this on ebay.

What do you all think?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6020901399