Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Assunpink trip 04-28-11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Assunpink trip 04-28-11

Stopped by Assunpink lake today after work and had a great time. Caught 7 9 inch long, hand wide, crappie in less than 4 feet of water. I wade and fly fish and these boys were only about ten to twenty feet from the bank. Caught them all on a size 12 chamois worm. They hit and fought hard. Looks like the water has warmed enough that the fish are starting to feel frisky.

Sorry but I have no pictures and today was catch and release.

Post Thanks / Like

i remember seeing someone wading and fly fishing at assunpink maybe a year or 2 ago like near the shore across from the island.could that have been you? i was in my boat with my dad,i had with me 3 or 4 spinning rods and a fly rod.whenever i go freshwater fishing i always bring a flyrod along with spinning rods.usually if im walking around lakes its 1 of each,and in the boat 3 or 4 spinning rods and a flyrod.i might experiment with another flyrod in the boat tho.couldn't hurt to have a dry fly on one and a wet on the other lol

Post Thanks / Like

Could have been. I sometimes wade from the dam back to the beach then out toward the island. Mostly I wade the area East of the boat launch. If you only want to cast one rod try tying on a dropper combo. Tie on the surface fly, leave a long tag end and tie the dropper on that. Or tie a dropper fly on a piece of tippet and tie that on the hook of the upper fly.

Post Thanks / Like

i use small size no knot fast snap things so i don't have to tie on flies.me and my dad mostly go to stone tavern,but this past year i think went to assunpink itself like twice.once in the boat for the day,and it me and my dad didn't seem to get much.we have had good days there in the past tho.the second time we first went to rising sun and had lousy time there.so we packed up and i felt like trying around the boat launch area at assunpink because the sun was on its way down and didn't have whole lot of daylight left and i usually get into fish around the boat launches at all 3 of the lakes.anyways i proceded to nail the crap out of bluegills and mostly pumpkinseeds for the rest of the time on the flyrod with tiny small foam dry flies made on #14 hooks.the fish were small,but the action was nonstop!i love that action lol,and i do the same thing at stone tavern launch area everytime me n my dad bring the boat out there.first thing i do when i get out of the truck when we pull up is get the flyrod out usually with a foam dry fly and hit the boat launch

Post Thanks / Like

I also fish Stone Tavern from the boat launch, the lake bottom is way to soft to wade, and am usually juts to the right of the tree off the ramp. It seems like most of the activity takes place on the other side of the cove and I just can't quite cast that far. This year I'm thinking about using a float tube and try my luck a little further out.

The area around the boat launch at Assunpink is wade-able in both directions and I caught a large bass just off the point by the reeds last year.

The last time I stopped by Rising Sun I talked to some guys that told me all the undergrowth was removed and the fishing dropped off after that. I never went back.

As far as tying on the flys learn how to use your hemostats to help with the knots. They can be done very quickly and with minimum fuss. Plus the added weight of the snaps will sink some drys.

Post Thanks / Like

float tube would probly work out nicely for you.i have to test out my kayak sometime.got it before christmas.there is a lot of pumpkinseed activity usually in that cove ,if its the same one im thinking bout.there are 2 boat launch areas at stone tavern,me and my dad go to the deeper area to launch.i think a lot of areas in assunpink are probly wadable,seems to me that lake has possably filled in over the years abit and some areas are way shallow and annoying to get through in the boat.you ever go down where the stream is at risingsun?they sposedly put trout in there.i went down once in the middle of the summer just to see where it was.water was low due to it being summer and hot,i did sea some small fish in there tho which looked like real small bluegills.the main issue with the snaps and stuff isn't that i have trouble tying knots,its that the leader of 5lb power pro i use gets shorter and shorter each time i have to tie a new thing on.and usually if i use the right amount of foam on a fly the snap won't sink it.pretty much all my dry flies have some foam in them and the snap won't sink em except for a few small ant patterns i did that might not have enough foam.infact that was what i was throwin at assunpink boat launch and nailin pumpkinseeds on.i wish all of the lake was just like the boat launch areas lol.i've caught small bass right of the launch ramp even.another issue with snaps is you can't put on really small eyed hooks/flies,but my go to size is usually a model 7000 #14 for dry flies which will catch even the smallest of the small of bluegills/pumpkinseeds ect.i've even nailed crappies on dry flies that size like here http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2103799_n.jpg .made the fly out of scraps of foam i was making other flies with lol. also pretty recently i did some plastics.acual 100% custom molds i made with rvt putty and i used sculpey for the "master" i believe its called.they are 3 sided with one side flat.i also created what i call "scraps" by pouring the plastic in puddles and slicing verticaly when dry.with that i have a bunch of slivers that will fit onto a hook or jig nicely.i have yet to test them out.