Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How muddy is Ky. and Barkley?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How muddy is Ky. and Barkley?

It seems to happen every year, when the weather gets right then the lakes get muddy. Has anyone fished much since the heavy rains? I don't have much luck when it gets much past stained. Maybe someone can give me some tips for when it looks like choclate milk.
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Main lake is not too bad, but the bays are too thick to drink and too thin to plow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Driller, I will just pass up this weekend and do some other stuff that needs doing. I appreciate your help.

THE BANDIT

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Guys .....

Quote Originally Posted by driller
    Main lake is not too bad, but the bays are too thick to drink and too thin to plow.
    When Barkley is "dirty" and flooded (and the Crappie are moving into the buck brush or are already there) ...... try this: (copied from a previous post)

A slowly rising or falling water level, even in flooded conditions, will afford you a chance at catching "some" Crappie ... I did it at Barkley Lake (many years back) by getting up amongst the "live" trees that were flooded (with 2-5ft of water up the trunks). I used a spinning outfit / minnow & float rig / 1.5ft depth (from float to minnow) ... I placed the minnow along side every good sized tree I could get to - right beside the tree and on all four "sides" of each tree. Seems the Crappie were nosed right up against the live trees, on the flooded banks (waiting for the water to stabilize ??).

Now, bare in mind that this was during late April ... and it may not "always" work. But, my buddies and I "tried it", and salvaged a trip by doing so. It may also be of some note, that we were fishing in the area of the canal/dam ... where we would normally be fishing in the buck bushes. But, since the buck bushes were flooded over, and it was near impossible to "find" them (let alone fish them) - we just went with the next best "cover" we could find/fish, and that was the flooded live trees. .... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir for the advise. I will give it a try in the future.

THE BANDIT

Post Thanks / Like

I recall that year. The "war dept" and I caught fish in peoples YARDS, right in with the ornamental shrubs. The water was about 5' above summer pool.

Post Thanks / Like

I also remember when that happened. I was fishing alot at Pisgah Bay back then. We launched in the parking lot. I did manage to catch a few fish but not many. I caught them on minnows about 12" deep.

THE BANDIT