Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup Lights on the Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Backup Lights on the Trailer

Check it out gang. One of the best add-ons I have done to this rig. At 32 feet long behind a 4 door Super Duty, backing the Hot Spot at night is a chore. It is easy now.

These are docking lights purchased from BPS for $25. I took them apart and sealed them up, then mounted them in existing holes in the trailer. My trailer has surge brakes on it, so I simply tapped into the 5th wire which is the reverse disable solenoid wire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the lights:

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Spot Great idea, I am going to look into this. It seems the older I get it is harder to back down the ramps at night. Also this would be a great as all of know at night a number of children maybe present in the ramp area along with intoxicated subjects walking around as in seeing them. An outstanding post Thanks again.
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the tail lights to see how to back. and mine is a little shorter then yours. My boat is only 20ft but I do have a crew cab truck.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Man what a good idea,I think I will put one on my truck too.Thanks for the pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you used a relay to power them from another source. The backup light circuit isn't designed for that kind of load, and you will eventually start blowing fuses. The "correct" way to install it is to tap into the 12V at the trailer connector on the tow vehicle and use the solenoid wire to control the relay.

My dad used to have a deep-V aluminum boat that sat way up on the trailer. Could hardly see around it. We mounted similar lights on the trailer and they were a huge help, especially if you missed your turn and had to turn around on a narrow road in the dark. We couldn't use ours for launching because the lenses would get so hot they would crack if the water splashed on them.

Post Thanks / Like

The reverse circuit on my Super Duty is rated for 30 amps. But, my truck has the towing AND camper package. Those lights only pull 8 amps total, the solenoid pulls 1 amp and the lights on the truck pull 6 amps.

This is not the same on all vehicles though, consult your owners manual.

Post Thanks / Like

and mine is a little shorter then yours
    No comment.:D

Nice job on the back up lights.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

That ain't right...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOT SPOT
    The reverse circuit on my Super Duty is rated for 30 amps. But, my truck has the towing AND camper package. Those lights only pull 8 amps total, the solenoid pulls 1 amp and the lights on the truck pull 6 amps.

This is not the same on all vehicles though, consult your owners manual.
    Camper package is the big dog. You'll be good. A lot of people add those bright backup light bulbs to their truck, and that's enough to start popping a fuse when they tow a boat. You could warm up the lake water with some big lights on that bad boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast