Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question, does thrust go slower??

Post Thanks / Like

Wink question, does thrust go slower??

Does a lower thrust motor go as slow as a higher thrust motor or visa virsa, where is the dividing line for slow>>

Post Thanks / Like

For variable speed motors, you can slow them down quite a bit regardless of thrust. 5-speed motors have a limit, and a higher thrust motor will normally have more power on speed 1 than a lower thrust motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what your asking. But let's say you have a 20lb thrust motor and a 40lb. thrust motor set on the lowest speed the 20 will be slower because of the prop size. I have a 40# thrust and I have a real small Gamefisher for a canoe. I think if both were set on the slowest speed the 40# would move the boat faster because of the prop size. Just my opinion.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole what do you say. I think it's true what catfan says ???

Post Thanks / Like

cut your prop down smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not an electronics geek so not sure the terms but I believe on the 5 speed motors there is a gadget that reduces voltage input at 20%,40%, 60%, 80% and 100% to give you the speed adjustment on variable motors it starts at 1% and gradually progresses to 100%. Hope this makes sense. Like the fan dimmers on your house some are notched at certain levels and newer ones are variable.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie 1 is correct it depends on the size of the prop. More thrust means a larger prop or the pitch is different to produce more thrust. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    Crappie 1 is correct it depends on the size of the prop. More thrust means a larger prop or the pitch is different to produce more thrust. EB

so the remedy is take a hacksaw and cut your prop down smaller. if when new goes too fast i'd start with taking about 1/4 off the prop then try again. eventually you should get it where you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and no. A larger prop does not mean more thrust, only more bite. The thrust is designed into the weight and winding of the motor. A lower thrust motor has less power so it will operate optimally with a smaller prop and will use less energy than a motor of the same thrust with a larger prop. A higher thrust motor needs more grip (bite) on the water to utilize the extra power so it naturally has to have a larger prop. A variable speed controlled motor will operate at any point between 1% and 100% so 2 varible motors of differant thrust will operate the same and at the same speeds up to the maximum thrust of the lower powered motor. A multi speed motor is based on percentages of power, so speed number 1 is 20% and since 20% of 20 lb thrust is less than 20% of 40 lb thrust then the lower powered motor will be slower than a higher powered motor given the same battery charge.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess i'll drag a anchor dumb dumb dumb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast