Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor suggestions please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchor suggestions please

I have a 17' mod V that has a relatively high profile and keeping it anchored in any kind of wind is a chore. I now use those 15 or 18 lb plastic minn-kota anchors with limited success. I'm thinking about adding anchor chains to them to see if it helps. If it doesn't, I'm gonna buy a couple 20 pound anchors, and was wondering what you might have had better luck with--the Mushroom style or the 3 fluted "river" style?

thanks,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Definately the 3 fluted style. I have a 17' bass tracker and on 20# anchor works fine for me. If the bottom is rocky, might consider a Chene drag anchor. They work well also and you can always pull them backwards to release them.

Post Thanks / Like

Know what ya mean joewildlife... 18 foot mod-v here and anchoring is never easy. I like to move into the spot directly into the wind with the TM, drop the rear anchor, and that allows me to manuever with the TM to get the front back into position before dropping the front anchor. 15lb navys seem to do it most of the time but when I'm short lining it with the anchors trying to get over a brush pile the front will sometimes slip out of position if the wind is bad and BAM I'm not where I need to be.Doh
    For short lining applications where you can't feed out line on the anchor I think a heavier mushroom would work better. Anything much heavier than 15lbs has been hard for me to find though.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this would be the ultimate anchor if money isnt a problem. If not, definitely go with the 3 flute vrs the mushroom style of anchor......with 150' of rope for each anchor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

A chain makes the anchor behave like it has more rope, so letting out more rope will give you most of the same effect. If you try to anchor with a short rope you aren't letting the anchor grab the bottom like it is made to do. 3 times the water depth gets you about a 20 degree pull.

Post Thanks / Like

I got tired of the same issues, mostly because of the soft mud bottoms of the lakes I fish, nothing seemed to grab. I ended up making 2 out of railroad iron...35# EACH.no problems staying put now; just a backache.
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing holds my lund like the 30lb dumbell i use now. Short or long rope. Drop it down and it sets in the mud or sand and holds good in rocky bottoms too. Yeah, i'm talking about the weight lifter style dumbell.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 22' express and the wind drives me crazy. I just put a power pole on and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Tracker 175 and I use a 20# fluted anchor and it works great. I may add a section of coated chain but so far it's worked very well even in some pretty stiff wind we've all been experiencing lately. For maximum hold I've read where you need to play out 7 times the water depth with twisted nylon rope. Twisted rope is "springy" and cushions the strain between boat and anchor during wave action permitting a bit more comfortable anchorage and helping the anchor hold bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

The "Digger" anchor from Bass Pro is the best anchor I have ever used. It comes in three sizes for boats from l6 ft. to 36 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast