Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about Ken Lake Marina Boat Ramp (Ledbetter Creek)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Ken Lake Marina Boat Ramp (Ledbetter Creek)

Was thinking about coming to crappie fish Friday (29th). I know water is crazy right now but was curious about if the Boat Ramp was still usable. Plan on fishing in Ledbetter Creek. Any news on Boat Ramp being OK? Any other info welcome as well. Please respond.

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this website out.

Kentucky Lake

This warning is posted: "Monday Evening Update: New Dam Discharge Projections Provide Clue for Lake Levels:
    New data released this evening from the Lower Mississippi River Forecast Center is calling for water discharges at Kentucky & Barkley Dams to begin decreasing Wednesday with virtually no discharge by Friday. With hoards of water coming down the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers over the next few days, the lakes will surely rise quickly. No projections on lake levels have been released that far out, but based on this data, we can expect sharp rises on Kentucky & Barkley Lakes later this week and into the weekend.

The gates at the dams will be shut off to help flood control on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. The NWS has called this a "catastrophic flood" that we are just now beginning to see the effects of. The lakes are being dumped right now to near winter pool levels so that they can store more water when the gates are shut later this week."

When I have fished KY flooded, I found that the fish were in the grass on yards that come down to the water at normal pool. They are finding worms and bugs. The feast will be on. Many times they stage on the bushes or rip rack at the edge of normal pool.

Good luck

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim ... it should be usable. I think the plan is to drop the lake to 3ft below pool, then shut the dam gates (Friday), so as to hold back the new water coming in with the forecasted rains (prior to Friday). Don't know how dropping the water that much, that fast, then letting it fill back up will affect the fishing, though. I'm sure it won't help the situation, as far as fishing .... but, with major flooding predicted, they can't worry about the fishing.
    It's my understanding that alot of people/guides put out brushpiles in that area ... at least that's what I was told 30 some years ago (by a relative of the marina owners) ... so I'd think that the fish would BE there, and just waiting on the water levels to stabilze.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

It's only 358 right now and the ramp can handle another 10-12 foot of water easily. The sharp rise may help fish bite. Will probably be a lot of trash in the water. Bass & big bluegill should be feeding heavily. Should be a lot of water to flip. I'm sure it will go way up but hopefully nowhere near what it did last year. I saw it last year when it was only a few feet from going into the parking lot at Kenlake.

Not sure how this will affect the crappie bite. Caught a few Saturday and they still had eggs but don't expect that to last.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

As steep as the parking lot at Ken Lake is, you could launch most boats from the parking area if you had to. I doubt you will have any issues.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff