Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Rods for Kayaks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Rods for Kayaks?

I'm just wondering what everyone is using for crappie rods when your fishing from your kayak?

I was thinking about going to a 10ft rod for jigging but I'm always using my B'n'M Uncle Bucks 8 footers and my 5ft ultralight.

Unlike a boat I think rod size matters because of limited space and comfort. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

I have developed a dislike for 10-ft and longer poles in smaller craft.
    Sure you can rig them like any other boat. But inevitably, the line
    tangles around the ferrules or a treble hook snarls the line at the tip.
    Correcting the issue in a small craft is a challenge. There's no room
    to put the rod butt, and I've accidentally dunked a reel in the water.
    No real harm except you must disassemble and lube the reel when
    you get home.

So the length limit for me is 8-ft; fly rod, jig pole, trolling, whatever.
    Just less headaches and hassles.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3 different rod and reel combos, 4 1/2 foot ultra lite, a 6 foot ultralite, a 7 1/2 foot ultra lite. I also use 3 different pole options, 10 ft, 16 ft, and 20 ft. I have 2 of each of all of these and use them in a lot of different situations. I will pick and choose whichever I feel will be the best suited for the type of fishing I am going to do that day. When by myself I take the 4 1/2 foot combo, the 7 1/2 foot combo, and the 16 ft pole. That covers just about any situation I might come up against. The 16 foot pole is a telescoping pole so it doesn't take up much space when not being used.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I fish from a 12' Hobie Outback and always use 10' Bnm jig poles. I usually have 3 or 4 on board. I may have one in my hand jigging while 2 or 3 are set out in my rod holders.
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

I have been sticking with 7 foot or under for my canoe because its just big enough to fish different species and small enough I can set it down in my boat and still paddle. I should make a rig to hold poles for my canoe I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

The two things that limit me are: 1) the ability to restring the rod and 2) butt length, too long and it jabs/catches me in my gut/pfd.

I mostly take 9' rods and cut some of the butt off, leaving me with about 8' rod to restring (requires a "resting" area for reel behind me).

Now that I have a kayak that I can stand up in (Jackson Coosa), I might start considering using even longer rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are seven footers. Long enough to reach around each end of the yak but short enough to reach the rod end to untangle it.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 4'6 Wally Marshall deluxe spinning rod. Stiff enough to pull slab up from brush and bridge pilings.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Two 9' fly rods in the holders and one 10' jig pole in my hand or in a holder. If I have a problem with line on the end of my pole I reach up and seperate the two sections and fix the end then I simply slip the two piece pole back together and start fishing again, only takes about 10 seconds.
    Mike Barnett