Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning sludge out of fixed gas tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning sludge out of fixed gas tank

Does anyone have any way of cleaning out a tank? When I get to below a quarter tank, the motor runs different, not good different, any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

can you "neck down" the hose on a wet vac and suck it out with the wet vac?

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't sure about pulling gas fumes into vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is something you might try but you'll need a fairly large container to hold the mix of water and gas. Northern Tool sells a soap sucker that goes on the end if a garden hose to draw soap into a pressure washer, put the suction line into your tank and suck the gas out. Bass Pro also sells a siphon hose you could use as well if you can get the catch can lower than your tank, it has a primer built into the hose so no need to get gas in your mouth.
    Waterboy1

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don,t use vacume cleaner. Could blow up or start fire from motor spark. I would try something like the soap sucker Waterboy suggested. I just can't figure out how you would agitate any kind of cleaner with out air and be safe. You might also look at a hand made for pumping rear end lube. It is made with hose on end to suck oil up when handle is pulled back then push forward to push out. Get one of those add longer hose and suck it out. Safer and cheaper. Just be safe handling that Gas.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I remember my grandpa empting the tank and using rice and vinegar then he would suck it out with a vacuum.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I took a 3' piece of copper tubing and 7' of clear plastic tubing that slides over the copper and used the copper to poke around the corners of the tank while the siphon was going. worked good for me, but was hard to get the siphon going cuz of the size of the tube. Smaller would work better. All said and done, the trash is out of the tank. If you had that much trash in the tank, you might want to run Sea Foam thru it for a few tanks to loosen anything that might be stuck to the inside of the tank or in the fuel system. Stuff works great. Make sure that you have a clear filter on the fuel line so you can see when things are gumming up, I just had to replace mine. Wal mart has one for about $9, make sure it's tight when you install.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Don't even consider a vacuum. It WILL blow up. The motors aren't shielded and you will be putting gasoline fumes through an electric motor. Search the web for shop vac and gas for entertaining videos, but "Don't try this at home"

Pump the gas out, and then use soap and water to scrub the tank. Flush the heck out of it with clear water, sponge it out and let it dry thoroughly. Check your hose and vent while you are at it and make sure everything is clean, ethanol rated and in good condition.

You might want to put a couple of gallons of gas in it and then pull the boat around on the trailer for a few miles to be sure there is no water. Drain that gas and put it in your truck and then refill the boat and go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Will let you know how things turn out.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have access to an air compressor, they make what is called a panel vac. In essence it uses air to create a vacuum and has tons of pull. Betcha Harbor Freight or Grainger carries one. Might want to ground the wand as I suppose there's the possibility of static build up.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast