Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat motor help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat motor help

I asked this in the main forum, but I thought I might ask my fellow Missourians, b/c honestly I hardly frequent the main board.

Here's my mainboard post below:

I couldn't find anywhere else where this post would be exactly appropriate, but I am seeking help, and have come to find that this place is a wealth of knowledge.

Here goes.... I'm getting the boat ready for it's maiden voyage of the spring (a little late here in MO, but oh well)... anyway, It's a Mercury 60 Bigfoot. She started up fine, ran smoothly, etc. however, it wouldn't start peeing out any water. Now it was only 60 degrees here, and I never ran it for more than 30 seconds without shutting it off for a few minutes. Is it possible that I didn't let it heat up enough to open the thermostat? (I assume this motor has a thermostat) The discharge hose is not obstructed as far as I can tell. (I squeezed it, and didn't feel anything)

Next question - I can't find a serial number tag, or anywhere to figure out what model this motor is. (There are about 10 different "models" of the Mercury 60 Bigfoot apparently).

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by keyser_soze; 04-25-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added things I forgot
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

Push a soft wire up the pee hole. Alot of times bugs may get in there and you have to get them out. If that doesn't do it you may need a new impeller for your water pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Push a soft wire up the pee hole. Alot of times bugs may get in there and you have to get them out. If that doesn't do it you may need a new impeller for your water pump.
    So you think that I sufficiently heated up the motor? Also, I can't find an op manual b/c I don't know where to find the model (other than it's a Mercury 60 Bigfoot). Anyone got any help there?
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

iboats.com Boat Covers, Propellers, Boat Parts & Accessories, New & Used Boats for Sale
    Everything boat, good forums to read through and you should be able to figure it out.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

careful when you stick the rod in if the motor has run very long cuz the water will be HOT

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of times its just bugs in the hole like has already been said. Also if you were testing with muffs on make real sure you have a good seal around the intake holes or it will be sucking air and the pump wont prime enough to push water out the pee hole.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is a thermostat on these motors...at least not on the two-strokes.

If you call mercmarine with your serial number (look on the title) they can tell you the exact model you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    I don't think there is a thermostat on these motors...at least not on the two-strokes.

If you call mercmarine with your serial number (look on the title) they can tell you the exact model you have.
    Agreed, it should be pumping water at all times.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unplug your pee hose clean out the discharge hole and blow through the hose. X3 on bugs in hole. Run motor with hose disconnected and cowl off. Your motor has thermostats and I think a bypass valve. That has nothing to do with your pee hole. It is to let you know water pump is working.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

i have to stick a wire in my 60 about every sping from the bugs .my motor is a 1999 got it new and put new in peller at ten years ,and mine pee from stat to shut down .good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast