Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat motor help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat motor help

I couldn't find anywhere else where this post would be exactly appropriate, but I am seeking help, and have come to find that this place is a wealth of knowledge.

Here goes.... I'm getting the boat ready for it's maiden voyage of the spring (a little late here in MO, but oh well)... anyway, It's a Mercury 60 Bigfoot. She started up fine, ran smoothly, etc. however, it wouldn't start peeing out any water. Now it was only 60 degrees here, and I never ran it for more than 30 seconds without shutting it off for a few minutes. Is it possible that I didn't let it heat up enough to open the thermostat? (I assume this motor has a thermostat) The hose doesn't appear to be obstructed either.

Next question - I can't find a serial number tag, or anywhere to figure out what model this motor is. (There are about 10 different "models" of the Mercury 60 Bigfoot apparently).

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by keyser_soze; 04-25-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added some info
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

I sure that water bypasses until the thermostat heats up. Then opens to circulate water. I say there is something blocked. Go to iboats. There forum is good for help. Also, you might be able to pull up the schematics (sp?) for that motor. I have a 1965 johnson 6hp. and was able to pull up everything for my motor. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Get a peice of line from a weed wacker and run it into the hole where the water comes out and at the bottom where it enters the motor. Sometimes insects,weeds, sand, or muck will clog it up. If water doesn't come out you'll need to replace the impellar.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

C.C has a forum just for problems like that. Mechanics Corner - boats, motors and trailers
    Some motors have the take off for the tell tale before the thermostat and some after. Either way you should get some water out it. When is the last time the impeller was replaced? If you don't know then you should replace it to be safe. Its cheap insurance. Mercs don't go by model numbers, all needed is the serial number. There should be a tag on the transom mount with that info on it. If it is missing look for a round welsh plug on the motor with the serial number stamped in it. It will be a 7 or 8 digit number. If 8 digit the first number will be a 0. If 7 the first number can be a number or a letter.

Also try running a piece of weed wacker line up the tell tale (with the motor running in water). Mud daubers like to build nests in there and block up the tube.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I had a very small P gravel that got sucked up the hose and was just inside the exit hole, completely blocking it. (75hp Merc). I was about to do a pump replacement when a old time crappie fisherman told me to check that first and he was right. I suspect he is in heaven now catching 4 lb'ers.