Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Jiggin rods??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Jiggin rods??

Hey all just had a question about rods and I knew all you guys on here would probly be the best place to get advice! I have been fly fishing for crappie for some years now and have had great success in the ponds and rivers around my home state, but i got a boat last year and got to go out to some lakes and started fishing for crappie in deeper water. So really the only deep water rig i have been using is an light weight rod with a slip float and a minnow but i am looking to broaden my horizons! I would like to start jiggin and trolling for crappies but need some input on a decent entry level jiggin rod. I found these HT 2 on grizzly jig and was wondering if these would be a good starting jiggin rod for the price? Any one use these befor, or any of high techs producs? how is the quality, and how would the reel quality be on the two combo deals?

Thank you for your help!
    Luke

Post Thanks / Like

typically the rods that collapse have good points and bad ones. the best is storage and cost thats about it though. the pros for standard rods are like any typical rod the more number of guides the better the line follows the pole and gives better backbone for jiggin.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

For jigging, I have 3 ST CROIX Avid rods. 2 6 footers and a 7 footer.
    Matched with Tica Cetus reels cannot beat them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use those rods for spider rigging/slow vert trolling....I mainly got the because I can store 4 of them in one of my rod lockers with room to spare....they aren't a bad pole for a vert trolling rod, but prob not your besyt pick for a jig rod......I have the BnM Sam Heaton super sensitive & the bucks (BnM) jig pole that I like a lot to use as a jig rod, the rods your looking at aren't bad, but prob not best choice for what your wanting them for.....have a great one, God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Great rods Ozark Rod Company
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

my 4 b n m brush cutters good for spidering and longlining because they are stiff. my 4 b n m capps & colemans are good for spider or jigging cause they are sensitive.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of choices, and all have some pro's and cons. I went with BnM because of their customer service and available replacement tips. Eventually you might break one and it's nice to have options. I have 2 - 8', 2 - 10' and 2 - 12'. For a rod in the hand vertical jigging I love my Buck's Graphite Jig Poles in 8'. They're light and sensitive and at under $40 they don't break the bank. Sam Heaton super sensitive also have a big following. Handle many before you lay down the dollars as there are differences that you need to feel for yourself. Ones that I would have bought on line I didn't care for once I had them in my hand. Just my 2 cents.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have Pro Angler, BnM, Wally Marshall , and Crappie Maxx from BPS all 10'. I like them all but I feel the Wally's are the best but kinda high priced and cant get them anymore, so I got the crappie maxx and they are just like the Wally's Lots of backbone for jig fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bnm Sam Heaton 11'
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a 6 or 8 weight fly rod at least 8th long, rig it with a under spin or small spinning reel and use it to jig with. Get you started on that side. Be light well balanced and price would be right. High Tec 12 ft would get you started trolling, spider rigging or long lining. Then you could figure out what you like to do and then upgrade. HighTec a little heavy for all day jogging.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast