Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kayak opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak opinions

Ok, MB4850 has planted the seed that may cost me some money and I need everyones opinions before I spend any cash. I saw this kayak in a store and I liked it A Lot! Ultimate™ 14.5 Propel It is very pricey though so I would like to know if anyone owns them and how it compares to the hobie. Also, they build this boat in a 12' and 14' model. Which one would be better suited for fishing? does my weight 230lbs factor into what length I should get?

Post Thanks / Like

Strip each kayak has a weight rateing from the factory and it is rated for you and all your gear. The hard part about chosing a kayak is deciding what type of fishing you are going to do. Different kayaks lend themselves better for certain types and styles of fishing. There are canoes, sit on top kayaks and hybrids that are a kind of cross between a canoe and a kayak. You almost have to try one for a while before you know what you will like. Again, ask a lot of questions an read all you can. I know it's not for everyone but I sure do enjoy it.
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

At 230 lbs the regular 12' ultimate (without the propel drive) worked fine for me. I sold the boat to get a Jackson Coosa, which is better suited for me and my waters.

I am not sure I would like having a drive (any brand) between my legs while fishing. That is the area I place everything. I suggest you try before you buy, most reputable kayak dealers have demo days where you can paddle several different models.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice. I myself, am a big fan of the Ultimate 14.5 but it is definitely not for everyone. SOT's can be a bit more forgiving to the beginner if you happen to tip. They tend to stay on the surface and are much easier to get in and out of. The Ultimate 14.5 is more of a hybrid canoe/kayak then a true kayak having the large open design of a canoe but the seating and padlle control of a kayak. I have been using the Ultimate 14.5 tandem for all my fishing and hunting for the last 4 years and would not trade it for anything, but as mb4850 mentioned, there are a lot of kayak options and what works for one person might not be what is best suited for the next. Try as many as possible before purchase and be sure to consider all your needs when making the decision.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is one nice looking rig. Lots of accessories to play with too. How are you going to transport it? Is the 14 going to be too big for the car roof (weight wise?) I used to put my 15 foot prowler on my Toyota Corolla. It looked funny but it worked (the kayak was longer then the car).

I switched form a 15 foot yak to a 13 foot yak, and its much easier to pick up and move around. Just a thought.

Look at the water you will be fishing. If you are fishing lakes, then a 14 footer is good, but if you are on smallish creeks, then 14 feet is pretty long. If you need to cover long distances, a longer yak would tend to be a little faster as it would sit a little higher in the water and have less drag.

The 12 footer has a 350 lbs ratiung, and the 14 has a 450 lbs rating. How much gear will you be hauling? The 14 also comes in a tandem. Bringing wife? Kids? Friends??

Try before you buy. Either way, nice choice.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

Strip, always, always, taking any kayak your interested in and test it out first. Any good dealer will have demo days. From experience, I thought going in I had the right kayak for me but after spending a few hours at our local demo day my mine was changed. Ultimate and Hobie are both quality kayaks.