Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor running rough at low speed?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor running rough at low speed?

This happened 2 days ago. The gas line was accidently kicked loose from the tank is when it happened. Motor cranks and idles, only time it runs rough is low speed. Runs fine at high speed. Actually seems to only be running on 1 cyclinder. Or either runs like it's almost flooded at low speed (just in gear and before giving the gas to go fast). I got a '97 50 h.p. 2 cycle oil injection Johnson that's never given a day's problem. Know of anything I can check to fix it? I already changed plugs and that didnt help. Thanks.

BTW, hope this is in the right forum. Didnt really know where to post this.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Might check O-rings on gas fittings.....?
    ....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

this has been a problem a couple times with my old Merc. My problem was the idle mixture adjustment on the carb. It was almost one full turn too much.

Also, check for cracks in your gas line where the connections are. At idle, your motor will pull air thru even the tiniest crack and not get enough fuel.
    Last edited by smedley; 03-14-2006 at 07:45 AM.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say they are both right.
    When you pulled the hose off you may have damaged the "O" rings on the coupler or cracked the hose at that point.
    Good luck.
    Mike

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smedley
    this has been a problem a couple times with my old Merc. My problem was the idle mixture adjustment on the carb. It was almost one full turn too much.

Also, check for cracks in your gas line where the connections are. At idle, your motor will pull air thru even the tiniest crack and not get enough fuel.
    You about hit the nail on the head. With closer inspection today I saw where an air jet has came completely out of the carb on the low speed side. Looks like it's lost forever out the vent hole so another has been ordered today and will be here Thursday. Hopefully this will fix me right up. Thanks guys.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn, I'm smarter than I thought. I was just BSing you! Not really, it was the problem on mine. Glad I could help.
    Scott