Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish Jerky

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Jerky

Has anyone ever made fish jerky? i make a lot of deer and bison jerky and i am thinking about trying out fish jerky but it seems like the kind of thing you could screw up pretty easy. i have heard that crappie is one of the best types of fish to use, but that is all anyone has told me.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think i've ever heard of fish jerky. Somehow it don't sound to yummy. I'd be interested in hearing how it turned out though...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

it was mentioned on the food network once and it is in my dehydrators book as an "idea", so i know i am not totally crazy in wanting to try it, but i have a feeling it could go horribly wrong.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Linhardt

Post Thanks / Like

the problem is that that article is from 1982 and we handle raw meat and fish pretty differently now then we used to so i don't trust it. i know that sodium nitrite (cure) needs to be involved somewhere. thanks though.
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't you know it that a food subject has brought me on hear as a first timer. Hello everybody, my name is Michael and this site is a great platform. As for fish jerky I have had some salmon jerky and it was excellent. They smoked the salmon then just kept it in the smoker a little longer. It was much like those beef chunks of jerky that you find in quick stops but with the flavor of smoked salmon. I have smoked crappie which was great and the next time I want to make it into like a tuna salad spread.
    First timer, Michael

Post Thanks / Like

welcome aboard from SEMO. You'll learn alot from the rest of these guys and gals.
    "She's A Bute Clark"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Would not think crappie could jerk out.

Seems to me the crappie are such a flaky meat it would be hard to make jerky. Up in alaska we did salmon. Cold smoked it for 2 days with the skin on. Up there they call it "squaw candy". The skin will peel off and the muscle structure of the salmon is long tendrels making it a good choice for jerky. The same way you cut beef, with the grain, to keep it from being brittle. If someone does try it and it works, would really like the instructions.
    Dusty (still considered a newbie):rolleyes:
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome michael good to have ya,as for the jerky i believe i'll stick with beef or deer.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie