Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mounting rod holders in bass boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting rod holders in bass boat

I have a Javelin bass boat that I have two of Callshy's bases up front on the bow for spider rigging and want to put at least one on the stern so my fishing partner will quit throwing stuff at me when I catch fish and she doesn't. The only place I have at the moment is to the carpeted metal lid of the bilge compartment directly in front of the outboard.

Where do you all with converted bass boats have your Hi-Tech's mounted on the back?

Post Thanks / Like

one on each back corner in reaching distance from seat

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with blueball however that is not going to stop her from throuwing stuff at you....

Post Thanks / Like

I drilled the metal compartment and mounted mine on the corner with a bolts/nuts/washers. Solid as a rock.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a drilling I should go. I just ordered (2) two rod mounts and will mount to the metal lid. I just wanted to be sure they would be solid and not move around when loaded with 12' rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Might look at Extreme Fishing Concepts. They make rodholders that dont require drilling holes in your boat. I bought 4 this past winter and have been very pleased. When mounted correctly they are very sturdy. Thought you may want to check them out before you start drilling.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of my ProCraft.

Name:  DSCN0500.jpg
Views: 42591
Size:  44.2 KB
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

Dutch, I worried about the stability too. My rear compartment runs from gunnel to gunnel and contains batteries, fuel oil and all under one lid. My lid is aluminum. I put large washers behind the nuts to spread the load as much as possible. I was concerned either a snag with cranks/braid or somebody leaning or hitting them might pull the boltss or bow the lid, but since then, I'm strapped all sorts of stuff to the holders using them for tie downs, like a cooler full of minnows or fish and whatnot. It's very stout. You could so use a treated piece of plywood or a metal plate as a backer board to spread the load even further. One word of caution....make sure your bolts don't touch anything like cable, tanks or wires and make sure you leave enough room to clear the lip of the compartment and seals.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Start throwning stuff back.LOL.
    A crappie day fishin beats working any day!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to explain it for me, my rear compartment is the same as yours as far as crossing the entire transom and housing all of my batteries, fuel and VRO tanks. The lake I fish has a large population of big channel catfish and I have had no problems thus far with one on my front casting deck setup mounted directly to the plywood/glass deck but was worried about the aluminum lid stressing at the bolt points. I actually think I have a spare piece of diamond plat in the garage that I might reinforce the lid back with. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    Dutch, I worried about the stability too. My rear compartment runs from gunnel to gunnel and contains batteries, fuel oil and all under one lid. My lid is aluminum. I put large washers behind the nuts to spread the load as much as possible. I was concerned either a snag with cranks/braid or somebody leaning or hitting them might pull the boltss or bow the lid, but since then, I'm strapped all sorts of stuff to the holders using them for tie downs, like a cooler full of minnows or fish and whatnot. It's very stout. You could so use a treated piece of plywood or a metal plate as a backer board to spread the load even further. One word of caution....make sure your bolts don't touch anything like cable, tanks or wires and make sure you leave enough room to clear the lip of the compartment and seals.

Wannabe...