Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie feeding patterns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie feeding patterns

Hello, i been trying to figure out something about how crappie feed more so i can learn how to better target larger crapppies so here goes. I noticed on my home waters that after the spawn is over its tough to catch slabs. When they are schooling seems the larger ones feed on the edges of the small crappie. Or they are on top or below the school. Also i only catch the big ones with the bait falling.

Does this mean the bigger crappie are mostly under the little guys? Maybe they let them do all the work and feed below to eat whats left over?:p Anyway whats the best way to fish a pattern like this? What baits work best on the fall?

Post Thanks / Like

To get the larger fish I normally cast a larger lure. A 3 or 4 inch grub on a 1/16-1/8 ounce jighead. The smaller fish might hit it, but can't get it in thier mouths. Really big crappies in my experience tend to be loners more than the smaller ones. I typically catch the really large ones NOT where the schools are, but on harder to get to structure where there is sometimes schools but not at the moment. In my memory most of the 2-3lb+ crappies I've gotten were not caught when I was slamming them, but when I was searching for fish while casting tubes or grubs.
    Good things come to those who bait.