Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pan Fish Charlies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pan Fish Charlies

Well I played hooky from work today to take care of some automotive issues that really did not need anything done about. So with that in the books and the cold weather I decided to tie up some more Pan Fish Charlie's. I have a small box that I use to put newly tied flies in for easy access for testing. The plus side is the small side of it. I almost got it completely filled up. I have been tying these for the white bass run and another option for the stocked trout. I have a variety of size and style hooks I used. The main 2 hooks used are TMC 9394 and TMC 200R. The smallest size of the 9394 is a 10. The 200R runs down to either a 20 or 24 but I did not go smaller than a 14. These are tied using bead chain or barbell eyes depending on how deep I plan to fish. I used either flex floss or mini flat braid for the body. I used kip tail for the wing on most but I tied a few with kid goat hair for experimenting. I am sorry for the poor pics but I had to take them with my cell since my battery for my digital is dead. Enjoy.

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

They look real nice. How are they on Blue Gill?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck on the gills and bass with them in retention ponds.

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking flies, almost like a Clouser Minnow. The white bass run here in the north, the way the weather has been proably this year won't start until July! Whats a retention pond, I know the word means retain but I never heard of a retention pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice ties ! which color catches the most ?
    Pat in NENC

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Indiana the retention ponds are the ponds in the neighborhoods and Industrial parks that rain water drains into. They are usually full of small stunted fish but I have seen 7 to 10 lb bass come out of them.

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

nice lookin flies!i got some that look similar to that i tied,and nailed crappies and bluegills with few weeks ago on vacation in va.also nailed bluegills good with some small foam hopper dry flies i tied.i can't wait to get out fishing again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done, but wayyyy too many color combinations. Limit yourself to a couple of light ones and a couple of dark ones. That way when you're not having much action, you'll change spots rather than flies.
    It works!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    ...change spots rather than flies.
    Ditto.

Too many colors confuse Hulk. Hulk not catch fish. Hulk sad.

:D

Seriously, though, that's good advice. Thumbs Up