Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need your opinions

I have a Humminbird 798 side image unit coming that I'm gonna put on my Tracker 175. I currently have the original cheap Lowrance unit at the console, and a Humminbird 565 on the bow with ducer on TM. Should I put the new unit at the console with ducer on trans. or on the bow with ducer on TM? I spend most of my time on the bow except when striper fishing. I would then put the 565 at the console with ducer on trans to replace the Lowrance that has never worked for crap. Thanks for any responses, Tom
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would put it in front.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably going to be backwards from everyone else, but I have always run my bigger one on bow, and smaller one on console. I fish petty much same places, so if i can get close with console d/f I can troll to it. If i fished different places all time i would have better one on console. I have a Tracker and have Lowrance 522 on console and Lcx 28c on bow.Both tied together so I can put in waypoint from either one, or switch transducers from either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve48 View Post
    ...I have always run my bigger one on bow, and smaller one on console.
    +1 You spend most of your time in the front, have all available information as close to you as possible...
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess I have to be different and would put the side scan unit on the console so I can drive around looking for stuff weather it be looking for one of my brush piles or just any out there or even just looking for a place to put one. Maybe I would want to scan an area looking for spots holding fish. I can alsways get on the front unit after I find what I am after and use it to get right on the spot. I have a pretty big unit on the front and it also has GPS, but not side scan plus I think side scan is better with the transducer on the transom as that one is pretty big. Plus if you have it on the front you can not use it when driving around slow looking for things.

I do know everyone I know has their side scan on the console, but maybe some pros have one at the front and console. I also have a remote controlled TM so if I want I can sit at the console and TM around looking from there with my TM. I do have a map chip in both units.

Guess I should add I have the 1197 and it would be very big for the front and I have a X27 on the front. THe 1197 seems like a TV set when use to a normal size unit.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Side scan on console with transom rear mount!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

side scan does not do well on the front due to the trolling motor turning and moving the transducer a lot....the images will be blurred and not clear. Plus you get your best side images at speeds between 3 to 5 mph.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    side scan does not do well on the front due to the trolling motor turning and moving the transducer a lot....the images will be blurred and not clear. Plus you get your best side images at speeds between 3 to 5 mph.
    +1, I have 788 on bow and 998 at console, can turn the 998 around if I want to see it from the bow.

Post Thanks / Like

If I put the transducer on the trolling motor and switch directions slightly, the scan should only be interrupted for a second or so, how will this make such a difference than if it was on the transom? I don't understand why it would blur unless I constantly adjust direction.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    If I put the transducer on the trolling motor and switch directions slightly, the scan should only be interrupted for a second or so, how will this make such a difference than if it was on the transom? I don't understand why it would blur unless I constantly adjust direction.
    Mostly because your TM is moving more than just when you turn it. Also if it's up there and you want to scout around with your big motor you will not be able to use it. It's the most important electronics on your boat and it has no cone coverage like a regular sonar and is just a thin waver type shot of each side. From the people I ask about that when I got mine (because it would have been a lot easier to leave my X27 on the console where it was) none said put it on the TM. IMHO, it's just not a good place for a side scan unit and is much more stable on the transom, but you put it where you want it.

I do know I would never put one on the front and like someone else said if you really want to see it from the front you can turn it around, but also it would be reading that back of the boat. Besides the transducer for tht unit is so much bigger than others.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast