Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bank fishing, how many?

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank fishing, how many?

Never been bank fishing, the waters around here a lot to be desired!

So what are the pros and cons?

Has anyone been bank fishing at night?Hands Clapping

What methods, jigging, minnows, etc.:rolleyes:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You know it's funny, if you fish from the bank you try to fish as far away as you can and if you fish in a boat to try to fish as close to the bank as you can . LOL :D.

I have spent a lot of days fishing from the bank when I was younger. Sometimes I believe I caught more fish because you didn't have many choices of where to fish. The downside has aways been accessibility to land to fish from.
    We use to night fish from the bank also. We would take a long limb and tie a lantern onto the end and run it out over the water with a brace anywhere it was needed to hold to light over the water. Fished with corks and also tight lined. Most of the times we caught fish. Thumbs Up
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

i don't have a boat right now. so i have been bank fishing exclusively.

i have had 2 days in the past 2 weeks where i have caught 25 or more crappie. kept the 15 biggest ones on both days and released the rest.

i caught the most on a yellow crappie thunder jig. the other one they seem to like the most is a mister twister orange/black/yellow jig.

i basically try to find the beds by suspending a jig under a crappie float or cast and retrieve until i figure out where i a getting the most strikes from.

Name:  crappie apr_6.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  50.7 KBName:  crappie apr 17_date.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  44.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I've spent a lot of hours fishing from the bank. Creeks and rivers for catfish, sitting by a fire all night. Moseying around a pond casting. Nothing quite as relaxing. No boat to steer or wakes to watch for. The only downside is the limited water you can cover.

One of the biggest crappie I ever caught was bank fishing at Kentucky Lake over the hill from our campsite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    You know it's funny, if you fish from the bank you try to fish as far away as you can and if you fish in a boat to try to fish as close to the bank as you can
    Lol. Isn't that the truth? Hands Clapping We used to camp a lot, and would set a couple of tight-line catfish rods up with bells, then walk the bank casting. Many times we would find a downed tree or brush and load up with crappie, or find a bream bed and tear 'em up! LOADS of fun...
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I catch as many from the bank as I do from my boat. When putting condos, I am always looking for steep banks that will hold fish with the addition of a condo, that can be fished when wind makes it unsafe to be on the water. I know of two sloughs that if we have enough winter rain, that will flood and hold big crappie that will spawn much earlier than in the main lake. Chest waders and a seven foot ultralight dropping jigs beside every old stump there will fill a stringer. I know of a spring that dumps into the lake, it comes from a crack about 8 inches wide in a rock bluff and the water where it dumps into the lake is only about four feet deep. But when the temperature gets down to 0degrees fahrenheit and stays there a couple of days, the crappie will be there, I suppose warming in the spring water. Over the last 10 or so years, I have put maybe 60 or 70 condos and about half are placed so they can be fished from the bank at different times of the year and in windy weather. It has been the smartest thing I have to help my catch, plus break in my daughter and nephews to the art of catching crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in MS View Post
    i don't have a boat right now. so i have been bank fishing exclusively.

i have had 2 days in the past 2 weeks where i have caught 25 or more crappie. kept the 15 biggest ones on both days and released the rest.

i caught the most on a yellow crappie thunder jig. the other one they seem to like the most is a mister twister orange/black/yellow jig.

i basically try to find the beds by suspending a jig under a crappie float or cast and retrieve until i figure out where i a getting the most strikes from.

Name:  crappie apr_6.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  50.7 KBName:  crappie apr 17_date.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  44.2 KB
    Are you pond fishin? cause if you just strolled to a lake and worked the bank and caught em like that my hats off to ya.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

I bank fish the river, but always in a boat on the lakes.
    On the bank it is shiners and crickets, but I will throw artificial baits if walking the bank. Just easier to carry artificial baits if walking.

Night fishing for catfish on the river banks just below the lock and dam is fun. We use about anything for bait, and catch some big cats after dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    Are you pond fishin? cause if you just strolled to a lake and worked the bank and caught em like that my hats off to ya.
    i caught all of those crappie on a small creek. i stumbled on the spot by accident. once i caught the first one the rest were pretty easy. evidently that small creek has crappie located pretty much every where. i caught them at several different spots, mainly near downed trees.