Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard would it be for a guy with a 14ft jon boat to hit Barkley for some redear??

Post Thanks / Like

Default How hard would it be for a guy with a 14ft jon boat to hit Barkley for some redear??

Thinking about coming down for two days sometime in early May and getting after the Shellies. I've only got a 14foot Jon boat and a ten horse power motor though, is that enough boat and motor to putter around Barkley on?

Which lake is better for Shellcrackers, Barkley or Kentucky Lake? Is anyone catching any large crackers yet? Thanks for your responses.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to Barkley several times in a 14'/48" wide jon with a 20 horse. You can fish a lot of places, just drive to different ramps and launch vs. trying to motor to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Should not be a problem. I fished in a 14/48 for years. I usually put in close to the bay I wanted to fish but have crossed the lake, just have to keep an eye on the weather.. You want have any problems if you do that.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it several times in the past with a 14/48..like the posts above have said ..go from ramp to ramp if need be and I wouldnt try and cross either lake because even if its calm when you cross ..things can get hairy quick..stay fairly close to the shoreline and get into the coves..Bee

Post Thanks / Like

Stick to particular bays you will fish for at least a few hours. Crossed Barkley with my aluminum v-hull last weekend and started taking 3 foot rollers over the front of the boat. Winds have been nasty this year, especially on the weekends

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone is saying, put in at the bay or creek you're going to fish. Don't get caught across the lake with the wind blowing......

Post Thanks / Like

..and if you do get caught away from your bay, wait it out or get a ride back to your truck.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just my opinion, but I think Barkley is better for shellcrackers. I catch them a number of them on Ky Lake every year, but it seems to me I do better on Barkley. Actually, I caught 5 really nice shellcrackers late yesterday afternoon (Sunday) around some riprap while fishing for bluegill (I also caught 39 nice gills and a few small ones). I was fishing with a very small black Grizzly jig. The fish were caught about 4 to 5 ft deep (with the jig right down near the bottom). Also caught 4 bass, the largest of which went nearly 4 lbs (which is amazing on that tiny hook). I agree with what everybody is telling you. YOu shouldn't have any trouble with a 14 ft aluminum boat on Barkley. Barkley is much easier to fish in a small boat than Ky Lake's big, open water. Besides, in May you'll want to look for the shellies and gills in the pockets and backs of coves, creeks and bays. Good luck and good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all of the responses, and they're exactly what I needed to hear. If I'm moving bays I just need to pull the boat out of the water and then drive over to the next one. I think I'll try to get down there sometime in May and Barkley is going to be the ticket.

I guess redear are all over the lake? Would I be better off going farther South on the lake or is the North end good enough. I'll be coming from Louisville.

Post Thanks / Like

Both ends can be equally as good ..the key is timing and placement..Bee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast