Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drift socks

Post Thanks / Like

Default drift socks

I'm debating on buying a drift sock for my boat but I was also thinking about using a 5 gallon bucket

does any one use a 5 gallon bucket for a drift control? if you don't use either what do u use and is the anything out there that works better?

Josh
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I've always drug chains until my buddy introduced me to drift socks last year, I can't believe I ever fished without them now. I still drop a couple 5 gallon buckets off either side on the front to keep me from bouncing if the waves get bad, but the socks are great.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I sure could have used them this weekend. The wind was a real tough.

tortis

Post Thanks / Like

I've used drift socks for 20 yrs. for Walleye fishing. They store anyplace, not like a 5 gal. pail. I'm thinking of having 2 on my boat. I was just looking at them the other day. Their great for drifting. Wouldn't leave home without it-or them..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

they can help get your trolling speed down when needed, whether drifting with the wind or with a TM
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Pair of 48" Cabela's live on my boat. Wish list has smaller and larger socks on it, to be able to tune to conditions.
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift Socks

Happy you asked that question, as I have a BIG problem with drift socks. Bought a large model from Cabelas (rated for 16' - 18' boats). Used it last week for the first time on my friends 17' Tracker walkthru. The lake we fished had a 10 - 15 mph variable breeze. There was NO noticeable slowing of our drift when the sock was deployed!

We used it on the port and starboard bow cleats and even on the trolling motor itself, on the bow, which was down and directly at the center line of the boat. Just didn't do anything to slow our drift! Very disappointed in this accessory. The sock was deployed nicely too.

A bigger sock may have been better - or multiple socks? But you'd think they would state the limits of their use in the catalog. I'm thinking about sewing up the hole in the bottom to help (?). Any suggestions?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Always go for overkill on driftsocks.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, bought one based on the size of my boat which helps, but need a second in a strong wind. I liked the idea of buckets off the bow to help stop wave bounce, don't know why I didn't think of it.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

I use both chain and drift socks.If i am longlinning will use 2 drift socks one on each side about half way back of the boat,this helps keep the boat straight.If i am tightlinning,slow troll what ever some call it we use a 21' chain out the back as close to center as possible(put big motor in gear so prop will not turn and cut rope).My boat is a 21' Triton and the chain will stop it dead when dropped all the way to bottom,even in 30mph winds.If fishing 2 people and 1 is in the back they will have to fish more out the sides and not straight back or will hang on the rope the chain is tied to.This works great for me,less wind less chain on the bottom you need to experiment or pull boat with trolling motor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast