Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbe ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbe ?

I'm new to Crappie fishing with anything other than a minnow and have never caught Crappie on a jig. I have trouble tying on new hooks,jigs etc. I dont see so good anymore. I read the post on no knot clips? and then something about a hook you dont have to tie ? I also read a article in the Mississippi Sportsman from the Magnolia Crappie club about using a Lindy Thill cork which appeals to me because I like using a cork for any fishing (thats just me) and I know thats not probably the best way sometimes. I need to start from the basics on Crappie .
    The best way is probably hiring a guide and get a crash course. I live in Aberdeen Ms and live on a canal just off the Tombigbe Waterway. I have tons of Crappie,Bream and Catfish feeding off my dock. The Bream are easy to catch with crickets only beacause there are so many. I feed floating fish every afternoon.
    I catch a lot of big Bull Blue Gills. I'm sorta a catch and realease guy but do keep a few Bulls to eat on ocassion. Sorry for such a long message but I would appreciate any help. Tks Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

From Toledo Bend Texas!

No Knot Clips are small hook shaped clips developed for fly fishing, but have used them on my line so I don't need to tie again and again every time I change jigs for color or size. I ask the question because I am looking at a different one and like them so far and was curious how many people used what.

As far as hooks you don't have to tie one, I don't know that one unless you used one of the clips.

Jigs, Try some hand tied or if you buy them from Walmart expect them to come apart unless you use some glue on them. Lots of guy here tie jigs including my self so feel sure you can find what you need in that department if you want to use jigs.

Enjoy and ask anything you want to know and someone will help. You can always PM me if I can help I will.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bareboatin View Post
    The best way is probably hiring a guide and get a crash course
    That's a great way to learn and there are some good guides on the board who'd be happy to take you out. Check out the Mississippi board, too -- lots of good info there.

Post Thanks / Like

My eyes are going pretty quickly. Night vision is just bad!
    Long time ago I watched a couple of older Fly fishermen showing us younger guys how to tie a fly on while blindfolded.
    I think they used a Cinch knot because they twisted quite a bit.
    The part I don't think you can beat with tricks of any kind is inserting the bitter end through the eye of the hook.

For that I went to a Sewing shop for a bunch of needle threaders. They are in every tackle box and vest now.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from GEORGIA.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome bareboatin. The only tips I can give you is make sure the jig is hanging parallel to the water, so it looks like a fish in water of coarse. I have been told that crappie will come up for food but won't go down after food. So I try to keep the bait just above them.

I only know one knot, and I tie on everything with it. I have to use those cheap reading glasses when I tie my line, so I kinda know how you feel.

Good luck

Tortis

Post Thanks / Like

....I have to use those cheap reading glasses when I tie my line....
    Ditto!
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

WELCOME! from North Mississippi!
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ne. I tie everything with a palomar knot and don't have to worry about it. It is a very easy knot to tie and is a 100% knot. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

LOTS of good info here...May even find you a teacher.

Mississippi Crappie Fishing
    Mississippi Crappie and Alabama football...Life is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast