Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Purchase the Right Trolling Rods on a Budget

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Me Purchase the Right Trolling Rods on a Budget

I just can't afford the really nice stuff right now. I've spent too much on the boat already! What I need are 6 rods for spider trolling that are very versatile in nature. I will mainly be trolling for crappie, but would like the option of trolling for walleye and smallmouth as well. I guess $20-25 a rod is what I can do at the moment.
    Given this information, what rods would you suggest? Please be kind of specific because I'm new to this concept. So far, the best rod I've found in my price range is the B&M Black Widow with Guides and Handles for $14. However, will the rod tip be sensitive enough to detect a crappie bite on this rod? It isn't made specifically for crappie. Maybe my question should be, is it possible for one group of trolling rods to cover a variety of purposes and types of fish? Thanks for any help here.

C D S

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to the spider rigging set up myself. I purchased all of my 12ft rods from Grizzly Jig Company out of MO. They are the West Point, MS BnM poles. I also purchased the Bucks mini crappie reel to go on them. This past Saturday was the second time I have had the group fishing and they did great. The poles are $25 if you purchase 3 or more at a time, and the reels are $12. Go online and buy them, they will ship them to your door quick. They beat everyone that I found on the net, even the manufaturer!

Post Thanks / Like

buy firecast at grizzly or other venders.96% graphite. very light and durable.used them for years.
    The truth is hard to accept, so is life .

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the HT Panfish on Monk's Crappie

Monk

Post Thanks / Like

silstar limit series in 12ft usually 4 for $50 then they charge $10 for shipping

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle limits 4 for $50 from Grizzly, HT Panfish's r too limber for Bigger fish
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I've went through a lot of Spider Rigging and trolling rods. The best ones I've found that are reasonably priced are the ones from Big George at GT Crappie Zone. The rods he uses are more durable than the B&M rods and cost a lot less. If I remember right, his 12 footers are in the $40 range, but that has been a few years. You can find him over on the Oklahoma board and he might even make you a deal on 4, 6 or 8 rods

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle makes a truly great (in my opinion) 12' trolling rod. It is a little heavy, so you have to use rod holders (spider rigging). They are hard to find, Grizzly Jig carries them but are out of stock. I contacted Pinnacle via email and they told me the 12' crappie rods were out of stock and they will not be making more until July. They are worth the wait for less than $20.00 each. In fact, Grizzly sold them last year for $12.50. As I said, they are a little on the heavy side and a little stiff, but are well made and the price is unbeatable--when you can find them.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

why not just get 4 of the BnM Pro Trollers from Grizzly Jig, for now and get the other two whenever you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't the Pinnacle and the Silstar rods the same thing - different name? A good buddy of mine has a set of the Pinnacles. He loves em. A little limber for my taste, but I agree they are the best "rod for the money" out there. Thumbs Up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast