Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Black Crappie and White Crappie question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Crappie and White Crappie question?

In waters where both species are present do the Black spawn before the White or does it depend on where you are? Reason I ask is I read something a few years ago that claimed the Whites spawn later. Would love to hear feedback from ya'll.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard and read the same thing, but got to say last spring the first fish I caught shallow were 4 White Crappie and they were all big with smallest being 14" I was trying out a new jig and fishing off my bank and in 20 minutes I was sold on this little kip tail jig. I am pretty sure the Black Crappie were probably in too, but this was early spring and usually the water temps wouldn't have been up as high as they say when the White crappie come in so I am unsure of that info.

As far as I know none of the crappie had hit the banks much before this day and I had been looking for them before that.

I do also know most of what I catch first is Black Crappie though for a while.

I know it's supposed to be something like this....58 water temp look out for the Black Crappie and when it hits more like 62-64 you should see some White crappie. However this is what I have read and seen told, but I can not say that is so for sure.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Last weekend water temps was 66-68 and I was catching mostly back crappie w/no eggs. caught a few whites with eggs. i always was told the blacks were males. my question would be do the blacks move in before the whites or other way around?

Post Thanks / Like

Read the 9th paragraph down in this article.Fishing Feature - Climate for Crappie
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

It has been my observation that they begin spawning at the about same time, but, don't all spawn at the same time. In other words, I fish a couple of lakes where they spawn seems to last at least a month. Maybe there is a member who is a fishery biologist/scientist that can add to this thread?
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hightower ... generally speaking, Black Crappie come to the banks to spawn earlier than White Crappie. They also tend to spawn shallower, & stay in shallow water longer than White Crappie (post spawn period). Their spawning water temp preferences are close, but the Black Crappie preferred temps are lower by a few degrees.

Most all of the information concerning this, is taken from "normal" spawning conditions (water levels/weather conditions/etc) ... and, as we all know, not every year (or lake) will produce "normal" conditions. Fluctuating conditions can create a scenario where the two species of Crappie can be found spawning at the same time, or even in reverse order.

This study shows, in detail, how the two species react to their instinctual spawning urge vs the conditions at hand : Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources - Preliminary Results

... cp

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole Fisher View Post
    Last weekend water temps was 66-68 and I was catching mostly back crappie w/no eggs. caught a few whites with eggs. i always was told the blacks were males. my question would be do the blacks move in before the whites or other way around?
    CPF ... IF you're referring to the two different species of Crappie -- the "black crappie w/no eggs" would be Black Crappie that have spawned out, already (or males).

IF you're referring to White Crappie ONLY .... the "blacker" ones are male, and wouldn't have eggs. The "whiter" ones are female. (many people confuse the male White Crappie, during their spawning period, with the Black Crappie species, due to the darker & more widely distributed black coloration on their bodies)

IF your question about which moves in first, is directed towards male (prominent black coloration) vs female (generally same coloration year around) .... then, yes, the males do come in first, and they leave last (once the fry have hatched & moved out of the nest). IF it's in reference to Black Crappie vs White Crappie ... then, yes, generally the Black Crappie species will come into the spawning areas first (see my reply to Hightower).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up In Fisherman Panfish magazine and in the Giant Crappies (south) section article the peak spawning period for Reelfoot Lake it has 1st week of March for black and last week of March for white crappie and Kentucky Lake last two weeks of March for black and first two week of April for white.