Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware the FRABILL E-Z Check'r

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beware the FRABILL E-Z Check'r

I hate to admit it but I'm 54 years old and got my first fishing ticket. I was going on my annual fishing trip to Sardis MS and bought a Frabill E-Z Check'r at Gander Mountain to make it easy to check Crappies for 12" length. Sardis is one of the MS Trophy lakes and I thought the device would make it easy to measure fish. Sardis requires Crappies to be greater than 12". The 12" mark was easy to see and there was just less than an 1/8th" of plastic above the 12" line. I assumed, wrongly that if I let the fishes tail extend above the plastic edge then I would satisfy the >12" requirement. Needless to say we thought we had limited out on our last day of fishing after having terrible weather over the week of April 2-8. Got a ticket for $140. Ouch! When the Game Warden checked my fish it was obvious that the E-Z Check'r was inaccurate. I got tagged for 5 fish that were just under 12". The Game Warden felt sorry for me when I explained that I thought I had bought into technology that was supposed to prevent the occurrence of short fish so he only wrote me up for 1 small fish saving me $100. I'm telling the story here to prevent other people who think they will do the right thing and waste $8 on a measuring device that is wrong. Basically you drop your fish head first into this slot and measure where the tail crosses the legal line, in my case I used the top of the device for the extra little bit. It just ain't the same as how the Game Wardens explain how to measure fish and you will get a ticket. I called Frabill Corporation in Minnesota but they did not want to hear a word of what I was telling them. My take is they ought to owe up to selling an ineffective device but they assume the typical corporate stance that you paid and therefore should be responsible for the proper use of their device. Well I did use it properly and it failed to produce an accurate measurement. I'm just saying - BEWARE - and save your money. Use a ruler and to HECK with the Frabill E-Z Check'r which is just an easy way to get a ticket.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the Frabill is not wide enough for Sardis crappie to fit down in properly. Were the crappie going to the bottom when you checked them?
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

In Tennessee, the limit is 10" and I have marked my Frabill checker at 10 1/2" and keep nothing shorter. Have heard of similar horror stories!!! I think the company should fess up to an inferior product and make one that really IS accurate!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Check-It-Stik, which is the same thing the TPWD uses here in Texas, I figure if mines wrong so is their's! Check It Stik - Tournament Anglers Accessories - Check-it Stik - Fish measuring Boards
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that when we finally got into 'em, I wasn't paying that much attention. I just assumed that the force of gravity would pull the Crappie down into the device and if it the plastic end crossed the tail we would be good. I was sincerely amazed when I saw the short fish in my basket. We spent 6 days and caught 11 keepers. That last day was fast and frenzy with the Crappies coming into the boat. I even dropped a rod over the side in the excitement which is something I haven't done in my life. I did get it back and do not believe I was being negligent in using the Frabill E-Z Check'r. The fish were full of eggs and they were probably fatter than what was envisioned by the designers but they should have expected that and spent an extra dime on enough plastic to accommodate a Sardis Crappie or keep the things up in Minnesota where they catch little bitty skinny fish.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-16-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Check It Stik - Tournament Anglers Accessories - Check-it Stik - Fish measuring Boards

I'm gonna get me one of those.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

B and M now. Sells a checker that will measure COE lake crappie.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Capps and Coleman have a new measuring device similar to Frabill's; however, it is wider and deeper and does a whole lot more than measure crappie. For example, it has small holes that relate to the size of the fish so that you can insert a needle for fizzing. Another gauge relates the size of the fish to its weight. Naturally not 100% accurate, but gets pretty close.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

i think in that same thread there was some discussion about the frabill deal not being accurate. i hate you got fined for that hattis. from what i've read and heard they are more strict down in miss about everything. boat reg, ownership, etc,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    B and M now. Sells a checker that will measure COE lake crappie.
    Its the only one besides the golden that is accurate on coe lakes a 12 in butla fish wont fit in a frabil ez checker.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast