Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie patterns after a HUGE rain - Temperature drop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie patterns after a HUGE rain - Temperature drop

we'll be getting several inches of rain today and tonight here in north Mississippi. plus the temp is going to drop overnight back to a low of around 40-45.

since the crappie are spawning right now, how will this effect the fishing for tomorrow?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in MS View Post
    we'll be getting several inches of rain today and tonight here in north Mississippi. plus the temp is going to drop overnight back to a low of around 40-45.

since the crappie are spawning right now, how will this effect the fishing for tomorrow?
    Brad ... I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and say ... those conditions will SHUT 'EM DOWN !! But, if the lake & weather stabilizes within a few days, they'll move right back in and give it another try. IMHO - They'll keep trying until the water temps get above 72-75deg & stay there (or keep rising).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that those weather conditions will probably for the most part shut the bites down for a day or two. The weather will probably drive the fish a little deeper, so you might want to try fishing deeper with a glow tube tipped with a wax worm or crappie nibble, or a minnow suspended a few inches-feet from the bottom in the 10-15 ft range over submerged brush with a cork you just occasionly "pop" because chances are they aren't going to go after a fast moving bait even if you can find them... If that doesn't work trial and error until you find something that does... I mean, just remember, a bad day fishing beats a good day sitting around wishing you were fishing! lol Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The rain also stirs up the muck and stains the water. Crappie are sight feeders. They look up to feed. Dirty water makes it hard for them to see prey. Best bet is to find the bait fish and fish deeper cover/structure, drop-offs below the bait fish. Typically the bait fish will move to the shore the wind is blowing into. I think that is called the leeward side?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    The rain also stirs up the muck and stains the water. Crappie are sight feeders. They look up to feed. Dirty water makes it hard for them to see prey. Best bet is to find the bait fish and fish deeper cover/structure, drop-offs below the bait fish. Typically the bait fish will move to the shore the wind is blowing into. I think that is called the leeward side?
    While all that is true .... White Crappie tend to prefer stained to murky waters. They are "sight feeders" .. primarily ... but, they can also detect movement thru pressure waves created by the movement of other fish or your bait ... plus, they can put their sense of smell into play.

The "Leeward" side is the side where the wind is blocked .... the "Windward" side is where the wind is blowing "into".

... cp