Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice/links for long-line trolling rods and reels...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice/links for long-line trolling rods and reels...

I have yet to try long lining for crappie and it's something I plan on changing this year. I need suggestions for trolling rods and reels brands and manufacturers. I'd like to start off with using 6 rods (3 per side, front deck only). While quality is an important factor, right now price is my driving factor since I'm new to trolling and I'd like to ease into it just in case I decide it's not a method I enjoy/prefer. Any help???

Post Thanks / Like

since you said off the fron deck
    for rods: id go with bnm pro staff trollers (8-12') n you could also you those for spider rign if thats something you want to try
    reels: any reel will work but having a line counter would be a plus, not saying you have to buy reels with them cause you can buy line counters that mount onto you rods

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same spot you are in and went with these Uncle Buck's Deluxe Crappie Pole They were selling a 10' as well but I do not see that anymore but the store in Orlando still has them. I also use the shimano IX2000 reel. They are not the best out there but they work well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Scout,
    Before you go and spend a lot of money, make do with what you have until you try it.If you're going to longline, i would use whatever I had for now. you may not like it.( I doubt that) Try a 6', and 8' and maybe a shorter or in between. Three will keep you busy for now, and you can see what you need later. We usually troll 50 to 60 ft behind with 1/8 oz jigs.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the HT Panfish poles.

Monk's Crappie

Monk

Post Thanks / Like

I like the B&M Slow Troller or black widows for long line trolling,I use a 13 ,10 ,8 of the front of my boat,My reels are from walmart,spinning reels the cheapest I could fine,that would hold a large amount of 6LB line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies guys! Keep 'em coming please!

Monk, those HT Panfish Poles are very cheap! I could easily afford to get 6 of those for starters.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been lone line trolling since the late 1970's and only use one rod and do believe I wouldn't have caught as many some days if I had the rods sitting in holders. So I like holding my rod all the time. You can get by with a short rod like a 6', but you better make sure to keep it on the side the winds is blowing from or you will at some point be taking the line out of your big motor prop.

I have 4 Buck's Ultimate B&M 10' rods that I have had for at least 8 or 9 years and are very good, but they are not cheap either. I also have a couple of Pro Series Wally Marshal rods that I like as well, but don't think you can swing as big of a crappie as the Buck's Ultimate's can.

I also have a couple of rods mad my one of our members here at Crappie.Com and his user name is The Lip RIPPERS. The name of his company is Cherokee Rod Company and I will add more of his rods soon. He makes a heck of a fine Rod. Here is the link....
    Cherokee Rod Company 2010 - All Rights Reserved

Good luck,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!