Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is the Fishing at Kentucky Lake better or worse now than it was in the past?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Is the Fishing at Kentucky Lake better or worse now than it was in the past?

Is the Fishing at Kentucky Lake better or worse now than it was in the past?

Is the Crappie, and Bass fishing better or worse now, than it was 5, 10, or 15 years ago?

What do you think?
    I live 10 miles from the 160,000 acre Kentucky Lake, and the 57,000 acre Barkley Lake is within 25 miles of my house. I live 10 miles from 220,000 acres of Water.

I live in an Outdoor Paradise

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think (overall) its better. I've been comong down for about 20 years. Of course maybe I just know a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished KY Lake all my life and I believe that the crappie fishing is as good as it has ever been, maybe even better with the onset of the black crappie that have taken hold in the lake. Of course, the ways and techniques for crappie fishing have improved over the years, due in part to the rise of tournament fishing and even good informational websites like this one. And...let's not forget the advances in technology and equipment. But....all that stuff aside....I think the overall quality of crappie has held its on and even improved over the years, thanks to our fish and wildlife folks who carefully manage the resource, and most fishermen's willingness to abide by limits and length requirements. I remember years ago (when there were no limits of any kind) when vast numbers of fish were taken that were way undersized. I have also noticed over the years, I suppose due to the improved water quality in the lake and the clarity of the water, that crappie are regularly caught in much deeper water than we ever used to fish.
    I believe KY Lake continues to be a wonderful crappie lake, and certainly if not the best in the land, in the top five lakes in our country. I catch crappie year round in Ky Lake that are healthy, strong and full of fight!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope

I totally disagree. There is no way the crappie fishing is as good as it was in the late 60's and 70's.

Back then 2# crappie were abundant. I can't count the number of #2 wash tubs full of Big crappie I helped my granddad pack up the hill. It would be in the hundreds.

I agree that Ky Lake is a great lake, but if you fished during the 60's & 70's you know what I'm talking about. It was nothing back then to go out & catch 100 big crappie a day this time of year. You could set on 1 spot & catch fish all day. The numbers are way down. The fish we have seem to be healthy but not nowhere near the numbers we used to have.

If you can go out on Ky Lake these days & consistantly catch a limit with a bad day thrown in here & there you are a pretty darn good crappie fisherman.

JMHO
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to say not as good either. I don't have the personal history on the lake that some of you do but over the last 15 or so years it doesn't seem to be as good. I find myself more and more going over to Barkley to fish as I like the shallower/generally dirtier water and it is a shorter drive.