Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use fireline?????? Help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use fireline?????? Help please

I have always used regular 6lb fishing line in the past.(Berlkley xl) Decided to try fireline this year. I got 6lb high vis original fireline for spinning reels. Any how I have lost probably 10 fish this year (5 today) Because when I set the hook the knot comes undone. It is like the line is too slick or something and the tag end slips through it. after a while of fishing??? Does anyone else have this problem? Have tried different knot styles and no matter what I still lose my jig when I set the hook on the fish. I really like the line the way it handles and how strong it is but If I can't figure out how to make it stayed tied I am going to throw it in the trash. Could I use a drop of super glue or something?? Thanks Dusty

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, a small drop of super glue added to a Polamar knot works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

try this,let me see if I can explain it.pass your line through the eye and pull plenty of slack and make a loop.run your jig through the loop 2 or three times and hold the knot close to the jig eye and puul the slack out and you'll end up with a good knot and a small loop on the jig eye.maybe this will work!!it has for me with braid!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Fireline and I've never had a problem with a Palomar knot while using it. When I first started using braid I'd use super glue on the knot.....for the first couple trips then decided it was to much of a pain.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I always fish a mono or flouro leader with Fireline. I tie the leader to the Fireline with a double uni knot.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the sort of the knot I usually tie. Run through the eye make a loop, put the jig through, work the knot down but not tight to the eye than do a regular knot to sinch it. I always liked this type of knot because it lets the jig move freely. I have even did that than did like three or four regular knots on top but still comes undone. Also tried a clinch knot and still comes undone.

Post Thanks / Like

Learn Fishing Knots just found this site

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Fireline for close to 2 years but with a fluorocarbon leader attached with a Modified Albright / Alberto knot. Try the San Diego Jam Knot if you're still having problems.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigg'n Fool View Post
    I have always used regular 6lb fishing line in the past.(Berlkley xl) Decided to try fireline this year. I got 6lb high vis original fireline for spinning reels. Any how I have lost probably 10 fish this year (5 today) Because when I set the hook the knot comes undone. It is like the line is too slick or something and the tag end slips through it. after a while of fishing??? Does anyone else have this problem? Have tried different knot styles and no matter what I still lose my jig when I set the hook on the fish. I really like the line the way it handles and how strong it is but If I can't figure out how to make it stayed tied I am going to throw it in the trash. Could I use a drop of super glue or something?? Thanks Dusty
    Dusty .... Though I haven't used "Fireline" ... I have/do use Spiderwire & PowerPro braids. I tie my jigs/hooks directly to the braid, using a Improved Clinch Knot. I haven't had the same problems you've experienced .... but, if I did, here's what I'd do (& I know it works, because I've used it before) :

Tie your knot of choice, as usual ... but leave a long tag end. Once you've got the hook/jig tied on & would normally be snipping off the tag line .... DON'T !! Tie a knot in the tag line (make a loop with the tag line, then put the tag end thru the loop a couple of times, and cinch it down). Now, holding the hook/jig in one hand, and the main line in the other .... pull on them until your knot slips, and the "tag end granny knot" butts up against your knot. Cut the remaining tag line off, as you would normally do. It shouldn't slip anymore !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

What knot are you tying? A granny knot or two in the tag end before you trim it will usually stop that. I've never had problems with slipping with a palomar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast