Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else do this?

I started using 4lb braid for crappie this year on my light action spinning rods. I use 1/16 oz jigs almost exclusively for crappie. Of course the braid has virtually no stretch. I have noticed that when I get hung up I give the rod tip a quick snap or two and almost everytime the jig hook will straighten out and I won't have to re-tie. Naturally the needle nose pliers are handy (as is the hook sharpener) since I have to rebend the hook. I'm sure eventually the hook weakens but I haven't seen too many problems with this. Saves a bunch of time and keeps me from moving the boat into the strike zone to free the jig. Anyone else do this?

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do,easy trick after you learn how and when to snap.

Post Thanks / Like

2lb fireline, although, if your wanting braid for the strength, id use the 4-6lb, i use it for the feel.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

8/2 fireline crystal love it.. You want feel, fish a deep ledge 1/4 ounce jig head lightning strike to your hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I pop my line similar to that and usually free my jig most of the time with any line without even bending the hook

Post Thanks / Like

if you can't pop it or pull it loose you can also reel your rod tip down to the snag and free your jig if your not too deep that is!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm, I may have to try some braid.
    what is the difference between fireline and braid?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

fireline is one of many braids on market, also powerpro, suffix has a very good one also in fact I quit powerpro and went to suffix good stuff and now suffix has a 2nd braid called suffix 832 going to try one spool of that this year, braid should last several years in fact I use it for 2 years then reverse it on spool & go another two.............
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I use braided Spider Wire. Once I got use to it I will use nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    Hmmmm, I may have to try some braid.
    what is the difference between fireline and braid?
    Fireline is not a braid, rather a fusion of dyneema filaments, laying side by side. Braid is just that....braided filaments. Fireline is flatter and lays nice on spinning reels. Braids are rounder lines and excel with baitcasting gear. However, I've used Power Pro on one of my heavier spinning reels for bass and love it too. Both types of "braid" have almost no stretch and are very powerful lines. Just be careful using either...you get your finger in the way when setting a hook - even on a crappie - and you've got a good chance of cut to the bone!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast