Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help needed - Jig name

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help needed - Jig name

I posted some questions here awhile back about the new crappie jig design I'm working on. I got some good answers, thanks everyone.

I'm a retired guy looking to get a little supplemental income going, and to stay busy with the fishing hobby I love. I've come up with an improved crappie jig. It won't be the answer to all fishing situations, but it's an improvement on certain currently available jigs. It uses new materials, a new design, and it improves the lifelike appearance and action of jigs, as well as the castability and drop rate through water. It's a GOOD lure.

Once it comes out, any tackle company could duplicate it - but it's not too easy to build. It takes some machining, and I'm setting up tools and jigs now to build the lure on a production basis.

Here's the thing - it's a superior design, but SO MUCH depends on marketing and a good name. I've been looking everywhere trying to come up with a good name for the lure that will catch on with fishermen.

A little about the lure: When I was a teenager in Southern California in the early 1960's, the popular crappie lure was the "Go-Getter". It was a great one, and may have been the first lure made specifically for crappie. It consisted of an aluminum-tube body on a jig hook with a feather hackle tail, all secured by a red resin inside the tube. That's not what I'm making, but it's a somewhat similar improvement on the old Go-Getter with no tube and different materials. I'd like to use the "Go-Getter" name, but that's now the name of a spinnerbait made by a major company.

Here's my thinking on the name I need:

1. I want to be sure and not use a name that's already being used by another company, or is too close to one.

2. I've thought of using "Ozark" in the name, since that's where I am. The "Ozark-Something" jig, maybe, would make the name distinctive? I kinda like the "getting, catching, gittin'" kind of names, but "Ozark Getter" doesn't do much for me.

3. Though it's a crappie lure, I don't want to put "crappie" in the name. It's good as-is for white bass of course, and can be easily up-sized to a heckuva bass lure. I wouldn't want to scare those bass guys away with the name.

I apologize for this LONG post, but if you've read this far you're interested in this stuff like I am. I need some help - and multiple heads are better than one.

If someone here gives me the name I use for the lure - I'll send them a BUNCH of the jigs when I get into production. A big bunch! I'll be donating some of the jigs to tournaments and events here regardless, of course.

So - If you got a suggestion, please PM it to me. Don't put it here on the Forum just yet - if it's a good name, someone, somewhere might grab it just to be ornery. I'll respond to all PM's I get.

Again, apologies for the long post. But who knows, if this thing catches on you might contribute to a little part of fishing history for naming it! THANKS, in advance, for all responses. - Sam W.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, hows Slamming Sammy!!!!! Good Luck

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Sammy is the name of a bass lure already produced by Lucky Craft

Sam...check your PM
    Last edited by smedley; 03-11-2006 at 01:52 AM.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed that one how about OZARK SLAMMY????

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

I've had some GOOD suggestions come in so far - PM's from 17 guys at this point, and I've PM'd back to all of them.

Keep the name suggestions coming, please! I'm making a list of the suggestions we get, and my wife and I will make a decision about a name for the jig in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again, and if you can think of a good name for a good new crappie-catching jig, please send it!

- Sam W.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Gitcha or Gotcha?

Post Thanks / Like

the perfect name, check your pm.............
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com