Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: how long is too long?

Post Thanks / Like

Default how long is too long?

i know it's ideal to change your line that's on your reel at least once a year. my question is how long can i store mono line in a drawer in the basement before i consider buying new line?
    Remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together!

Post Thanks / Like

Forever. If it's out of light, high heat, and exposure to solvents, it won't degrade. The only possible exception I know is Stren original; at least as it was formulated into the 80's, it would end up with some chemicals migrating to the exterior of the line and leaving a chalky residue if stored for a long time. Other lines should be fine.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan .... I've got some spools of mono line that are well over 20yrs old, and they're fine. I keep mine in the walk-in hall closet, in my apartment. Keep it in a dark, cool, dry environment ... and it'll last for a very long time. Exposure to the sun's UV rays is what weakens it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info.
    i've always used trilene and have kept it in the basement and in a drawer, so it should be good to use then for a long time. i may still get some more 4-6 lb test, though, as i only currently have 10 and 12 lb test.
    Remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together!