Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vicious line and lures low-priced at Wal-Mart

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vicious line and lures low-priced at Wal-Mart

I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart, but I went to one recently to check for fishing clearance items. The store had two new four-sided kiosks about five feet high and filled with Vicious-branded tackle for panfish and bass. That includes hooks, split shot, and so on, but what caught my eye were these items, all for a buck apiece:

100-yard spools of their Panfish line (fluorescent yellow) in strengths of 4 lb. and up
    10-packs of chenille-bodied marabou-tail jigs in various color combos
    10-packs of 2" curl-tailed grubs in some unusual hues
    8-packs of solid-body tubes in some unusual hues

I know there are fans of the Panfish line here. It's not as strong for diameter as Gamma gold, but at $1.00 a spool, the Panfish line is an easy buy. A word of caution: the 4 lb. Panfish line I bought averages about .0088" in diameter, which is thick for 4 lb. line, and the 6 averages .0098"--really thick for casting light lures, but useful if fishing in cover, under docks, or in dim light when it's hard to see the line. I had previously bought a spool of 2 lb. Panfish (not available at Wal-Mart) that measures .0072" and has an average knotted break strength of 4.2 lbs., which should be plenty strong enough for crappies in open water.

Obviously, chenille/marabou jigs that sell for .10 apiece are being tied at a very fast speed. It appears that each bag contains jigs from one human tier; the packages vary widely in the quality of jig ties they contain, and in things like the length of the tails. I wanted my brothers at Crappie.com to get an early heads-up on this, so if you'd be interested in this stuff, you can get there before the initial stock is picked through.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. I have been using Vicious Fishing line and baits for 4 years now. All my bass and panfish reels are spooled with Vicious and several of my go to bass tournament soft plastics are from Vicious. Thinks I might just be heading to Wally World on my lunch break.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

They've done the same thing down here. A step in the right direction.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't too sure about vicious but i am sure about the price, made the wife get me 10 bucks worth of goods! Thanks for the info split handle!

Post Thanks / Like

I was there today Stocked up on the jigs and weighted bobbers. I was surprised to see the price. Our walmart did not carry the line though would like to try some if I can find it.
    Wishin I was Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Viscous

Monks has the panfish line $7.98 1500 yd spools.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER