Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnow bucket choices

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow bucket choices

Ok folks,
    I have seen on TV ( late At night of course) a minnow bucket that collapses and stores Away flat. I just don't remember who made it..... HELP!
    Also, my dad used to have a styrofoam minnow bucket that had a wire frame around it that made it very durable. Any ideas if they still exist?
    What is your choice for minnow buckets. I am about tired of the cheap ones blowing out of the boat on the way to the lake or the tops ripping off or the handles breaking on the plastic ones....

Jlittle23

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Minner bucket ....

My "minner buckets" :

1 Handi-way Bait Bucket by Noble Designs - vinyl collapsible bait bucket w/clear plastic, zipper closed top, & attached air pump (don't think it's mfg'd any longer)
    2 Frabill Flow-troll minnow buckets (6qt)
    2 four qt individual bait buckets (brand name unknown) for use inside the boat, while the main bucket is in the water (tied to boat cleat)
    1 Woodstream metal 2pc galvanized minnow bucket

Mr Little .... don't know about the bucket you saw, but Cabela's has this one : Longer-Life Insulated Soft-Sided Bait Bucket, Aerators, Bait Keepers, & Fish Lights, Fish Attractant & Bait, Fishing : Cabelas.com

Not sure about the Champagne style buckets (w/wire cage frame) ... can't remember the last time I saw one on the shelf. :o

I keep my buckets from blowing out of the boat, by putting them in my vehicle ... boat storage box ... or, if no room anywhere else, under the boat's driver console (& tied to the steering wheel). That is, of course, if they're empty. If they're still holding minnows ... they'd ride in the livewell. :D

If/when I do puchase minnows, whether for a "less than 1hr drive" to the lake or a extended stay trip .... I buy my minnows from a local store that bags them w/oxygen blown in. I've done that with as few as 4doz, and as many as a couple of pounds of minnows .... for a 1hr trip, to as long as a 4hr trip to the lake .... in the livewell of the boat (in most cases), so that in the event of a rupture of the bag, the minnows would still be contained & have water (but, no ruptures have occurred, so far). Hands Clapping

Plano, Frabill, & Challenge (brands) all make many different sizes & styles of minnow buckets ... plus there's also a styrofoam insert for a 5gal bucket, and lids, that could be purchased for a DIY minnow bucket. Some have even used coolers, and rigged a air pump to them.

What you need would depend on how you intend to use the bucket, how much room you have for it, what conditions it will be used in, and how big it has to be ... plus, whether it has to remain in the boat, or not.

... cp

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly jigs sells the one with the wire frame. I use them and also made me wooden lids to fit them out of cedar.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a small ice drink cooler with an aerator in it.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a LongerLife collaspsable bucket from Cabelas. I saw them on G3's Sportsman shows and they looked like they were well made and would be very handy. I reckon by next week end I could give you a review of them.

I have used a small lunch bucket sized cooler that I bought in a yard sale for $.25 with a good aerator for years and years. Very cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my big frabill, but I've also seen the longer life collapsable bucket on G3 and it looks cool, I'd like a report also.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

THAT's WHERE I SAW IT!!!!!!!!!
    EXACTLY!!!!! G3!

Thanks you guys! I could NOT remember to save my life where I saw that bucket. I'm gonna order one myself right now!

You guys are awesome!!! I love this place!

Oh and thank you CP for all your advice too. It is very helpful.

Jlittle23

Post Thanks / Like

Fra bil min o life. The best bucket I've ever had. Will buy another, when its time.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps just a carry over from ice fishing, but am fond of the ole MK 1 Mod 0 5 gal buckets; strong, lots of volume, on the way back out doubles as a carrying container for tackle box, thermos and whatever trash (unfortuneately more plentiful than fish, usually) that tote back to the vehicle, plus a good seat...cleans up nice, too. Several are offered with "upgrades", padded seats, additional cloth storage including aeriation holders and additional pockets. Not much of a color selection though, anyone ever see a camo 5 gal bucket?

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart had camo buckets awhile back,i bought 1.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast