Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Croix elite series fly rod

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default St. Croix elite series fly rod

I have been toying with idea of getting a 9.6' St. Croix elite series fly rod. What can you tell me about this rod's track record. Thanks. You can post all comments here on this thread. It would be matched with a Lamson Guru fly reel 4.5 oz. Thinking about it for Shellcracker and crappie primarily. Thank you in advance for all input.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    I have been toying with idea of getting a 9.6' St. Croix elite series fly rod. What can you tell me about this rod's track record. Thanks. You can post all comments here on this thread. It would be matched with a Lamson Guru fly reel 4.5 oz. Thinking about it for Shellcracker and crappie primarily. Thank you in advance for all input.
    Ship, I have a Legend Elite that I have had for some time...It is a 9' 6wt and I use it for Blue Gills during spawn.I have also caught a few crappie with it but not many...Some folks will say that a 6wt is too much but it works for me..I am not a professional fly fisherman but catching gills with popping bugs is a lot of fun..

St Croix makes quality rods.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Is it nine feet six inches? Or is it a 9-foot 6wt? Just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Like Don says, the Legend Elite is a very good rod. I believe it's St. Croix's top-of-the-line fly rod. It's a fast action rod. That might be a little "fast" if you're just starting out. A softer action rod might be better if you're learning to cast.

It's also not a cheap rod. Why that make and model?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Ship, I have a Legend Elite that I have had for some time...It is a 9' 6wt and I use it for Blue Gills during spawn.I have also caught a few crappie with it but not many...Some folks will say that a 6wt is too much but it works for me..I am not a professional fly fisherman but catching gills with popping bugs is a lot of fun..

St Croix makes quality rods.....
    Thank you Don and DB4D. You both are true friends. I am eye balling a 9 foot Six inch rod I see on Cabala's. The wife says I can get one when she gets her new refrigerator and dishwasher. I will have to take fly lessons first because I really have no clue other than what I see on fishing shows. It just looked more sensitive and it is on my "Bucket list" of things to do in the next 10 years before I am 75.

DB4D as for that make and model I saw Al Linder using it on a DVD and he was slamming Bluegills with it. He is a mentor of mine and has often encouraged me. What do you mean by 6wt?????

This just looked like fun. I would love to buy a mini farm with five ponds on it like "G" but that wife of mine said this would be less expensive and it looked like fun.

I do very well now catching Bluegills and Shellcrackers on an open face and four pound test line with 1/64 jigs and wax worms. I just thought it would be cool to try something else. Slab and I were chatting while fishing and he said something very profound. "Ship, always reach for more than you dare think about. That way you never have to say what if....."

Just curious Don and DB4D and doing some homework on it. By the way Don I was USAF Captain, McConnell AFB, 1967-1971 Personnel officer.

Post Thanks / Like

Price the St. Croix, then get with TheLipRippers on the Okie forum. He can take your specifications on exactly what type of fishing you'll be using the rod for, know exactly what will work best for it and custom make you the best rod you've ever owned, bar none, period! The personal touch he puts into every rod is a major plus and the blanks he uses do have warranties. He'll even put "Shipahoy41" on it for you. He owns and operates the Cherokee Rod Co, makes all rods himself, and is a pure artist in the realm of Rod making. It's worth a discussion anyway, and for the price of one St. Croix, you might get two of Lelands rods. I own two of them and would put them up against any of the high dollar quality rods. Good luck!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    Price the St. Croix, then get with TheLipRippers on the Okie forum. He can take your specifications on exactly what type of fishing you'll be using the rod for, know exactly what will work best for it and custom make you the best rod you've ever owned, bar none, period! The personal touch he puts into every rod is a major plus and the blanks he uses do have warranties. He'll even put "Shipahoy41" on it for you. He owns and operates the Cherokee Rod Co, makes all rods himself, and is a pure artist in the realm of Rod making. It's worth a discussion anyway, and for the price of one St. Croix, you might get two of Lelands rods. I own two of them and would put them up against any of the high dollar quality rods. Good luck!
    Interesting option. Thank you.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship, here is a good article to explain weight rating of fly rods:::

Fly Rods : A Guide to Determine Fly Rod Weight

Thanks for your service to our Country....Thumbs Up
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Ship, here is a good article to explain weight rating of fly rods:::

Fly Rods : A Guide to Determine Fly Rod Weight

Thanks for your service to our Country....Thumbs Up
    Thank you. Time to do my homework Don. We will see what happens,

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by 6wt?????
    Ship, the link Don posted goes into more detail but the "weight" of the rod tells you what line that rod is designed to cast. A 6wt rod is designed to handle a 6wt line.

I will have to take fly lessons first because I really have no clue other than what I see on fishing shows.
    If you can find a decent fly shop near you, run (don't walk) to it. Is there a Bass Pro near you? Their fly shops are usually pretty good. A good shop will probably have "intro to FF" classes plus casting classes. Something like that will take years off your learning curve.

I checked that rod at Cabela's. It's not as expensive as I thought, but it's certainly not cheap. For that kind of money, make sure you're getting a rod you like and you can cast. A lot of beginners have trouble with the really fast rods, and a medium or medium-fast action might be better.

That's another reason to go to a shop. They will let you cast a bunch of rods. (Some Bass Pro's will not. They're often not set up for that.) FWIW, I think its better to get a $200 rod you can cast along with $200 of lessons than a $400 rod you can't cast. In that price range, there are LOADS of good rods.

Another rod that Cabela's (and Bass Pro) sells is the Sage Flight. That is a great rod, and it's 50% cheaper than the St. Croix. I fished with the 8'6" 5wt a year ago and loved it.

It just looked more sensitive ...
    Sensitivity is not an issue with fly rods like it is with spinning rods, especially if you'll be using popping bugs a lot. You'll see the strike!

Post Thanks / Like

You are the man DB4D. I appreciate you as a friend and for all the great advice.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast