Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sickle hook review!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle hook review!

I made the switch a little over a year to sickle hooks and was very skeptical. I finally give all my old jigs away the other day and now will only use the sickle hooks! I have found my hook ups have been better and also my losses seem to have decreased. I use to keep a pair of needle nose in the boat somewhere and now have to keep a pair on the front deck and on the back deck of the boat! The sickle hook really does a good job hooking them in the roof of the mouth! I do lose a few more jigs since they dont bend as easy as other hooks, but willing to sacrifice a few more jigs for some more big slabs! I now use a #4 sickle on everything and glad I made the switch!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

My catch rate has increased with sickle and less hang ups and I have them in a softer hook with a Y guard and I can get them to bend out with a little muscle on them. I agree sickle hooks are the way to go for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a good sickle lead head with a weed guard and lighter wire. Where is a good place to buy cheap!

Post Thanks / Like

They don't hold a minnow worth a dang though!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the sickle hooks too.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 and 1/24 oz size 4 hook is my all time favorite sizes

Post Thanks / Like

Been tying with them for 5 years now and still like them best!
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I think they definitely have their place and they will stick to ANYTHING! That being said, I did have several snap on me. Granted I was catching REDFISH with 1/0's. Sickels are extremely sharp and I feel they are sharper than standard bronze hooks. There are some standard shape nickel hooks out there that are bad to bone as well, but they are usually a little pricer.

Post Thanks / Like

We used them fishing green cedars and could put them right in the teeth of the trees and work them through and get bit, could not do this with a standard "J" hook. They are better from my fishing point of view just over a year now. And they also work better in rocks without dulling.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie addict View Post
    I think they definitely have their place and they will stick to ANYTHING! That being said, I did have several snap on me. Granted I was catching REDFISH with 1/0's. Sickels are extremely sharp and I feel they are sharper than standard bronze hooks. There are some standard shape nickel hooks out there that are bad to bone as well, but they are usually a little pricer.
    Their QC leaves a lot to be desired for sure, open eyes, barb not in right spot and yes even poor temper (heat treat) in some that got too much heat and break. Had a lot of that about 2 years ago, but seems to have got a lot better. Thought if they didn't get that fixed I would have to just quit them, but they finally got that better.

As far as price, they are the closest thing to Gamakatsu when it come to sharp, but not close in price as Gamakatsu cost a ton more.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast