Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Houston - Where's the Crappie?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Houston - Where's the Crappie?????

I am new to the forum here. I just found it online this morning. We have been fishing Luce's mainly but a little in the East Fork as well for over 20 years. We have been out maybe a dozen times since the first of February but only one trip that we brought up a decent # of keepers. We found the fish up in the East Fork channel close to BJ's a couple of weeks ago but couldn't hardly get a bite. There were 8-10 boats and only a few fish caught and all of them appeared to be too small.

We are going to try trolling tomorrow. We have never really used jigs seriously while fishing. We might just play around with them while we are waiting on a fish to bite the minnow. I think I have caught maybe 3-4 fish on a jig over the past 6-8 years. I have always used a chartreuse, white or yellow feather type jig. I think it may be time for a change. Any suggestions on jig colors for Lake Houston?

Post Thanks / Like

Black/Chartreuse

Post Thanks / Like

I was out Tuesday morning for a couple of hours and caught 12. Every one on a black/chart. jig. They wouldn't touch a minnow. Unusual, but it happens, especially this time of year.

HPJ

mule29 Guest

Taking my 9yo to lake houston tomorrow to crappie fish. can anyone tell me if they are being caught shallow or deep? would like to put him on a few fish, thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyday that it stays warm brings more fish into the shallows. There are still fish being caught in deeper water but a major movement into the shallow has begun. Start by fishing your favorite spawning spots early then work your way back out deeper as the day progresses. Concentrate mainly on the mouths of inlets.

mule29 Guest

Big Dave,
    Thanks for the info, where i usually go is not far from lake houston marina. Can you try to explain where luces is from lake hou. marina? I may be there already not real sure.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

North just past the first major point.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back in and got the fish cleaned. We ended up catching 6 keeper crappie. We just happened to be using black and chartreuse. We caught about 35-40 stripers. We were letting my 3 year old daughter reel them up. She had a blast and we left plenty for next time.

We only caught 2-3 fish on minnows. Only one of them was a keeper.

I do have a question on jigging. Are there methods that work better than others? Like I said earlier, I am new to this jigging thing.

Phillip

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on going to Lake Houston tomorrow, launching at BJ's where are the hot spots these days? Any help tonight before I head out in the morning would be superb!

Post Thanks / Like

Hit the shallow structure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast