Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loop Knot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loop Knot

Anyone use a loop knot when using jigs?...I am going to start using this knot..Seems to keep the jig great position..

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

I do when the jig is balanced. If it's not, I use a clinch and reposition it when needed. I use umbrella tubes a lot and if I'm not using a big weight they hang tail down.

Post Thanks / Like

Talltimber,

I am new to jig fishing for crappie, only fished with minnows. How can you tell when a jig is unbalanced?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ALWAYS use the loop knot longlining jigs.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I also always use a loop knot, its fast and easy to tie and works great for long-lining. Like any knot, after you fish it a while, I'd recommend you re-tie it. I've lost a couple of good fish from my knot breaking but that was after a long day of fishing where I was really catching them good. Got a little lazy and the fish were biting so good, I didn't take the time to re-tie. Now, I always inspect my knot and re-tie after catching 10-12 fish.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am always using the loop knot. To me it makes my jigs more life like because they have greater movement.

You will want to use enough weight so that 1/2 your float is underwater when you cast it. Look for any change in float behavior such as rising up, leaning to the right of left, and of course going under the water. If you see any of these signs set the hook.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 04-05-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckhavoc View Post
    Talltimber,

I am new to jig fishing for crappie, only fished with minnows. How can you tell when a jig is unbalanced?
    I should clarify my method. Single pole, single jig or dippin-whatever you want to call it. There is no horiz. movement of the jig to speak of. Dipping your jig straight down into cover is what I'm talking about. The others mentioned long lining, and I spider rig also. With horizontal movement, like the trolling others mentioned, I don't think having a balanced jig matters as much because the movement through the water will do what it does to the jig, with enough speed. So, I use a loop knot a lot of times on the top jig whether it's balanced or not.
    Tightlining, dipping,etc. I tie on what jig head/tube I want to use and look at it. If the jig stays in a horizontal position with a loop knot, then it's balanced. If it hangs with the tail considerably lower than the jighead, not balanced. The most common jighead/tube combinations that I use, I know if they are balanced or not before I tie them on, so I tie whichever knot I need to. Loop knot I think is best for jig action, but not if it's hanging in an unnatural position. I'll tie a clinch tight and move the knot toward the hook point in the eye of the jig however far I need to level the jig out. You'll have to readjust every once in a while for one reason or another, hopefully from catching fish. You get in the habit of looking at it every time you pick it up and move it to another spot in the brush. No biggie. May not matter too much, but I believe it does, so therefore (for me) it does. Confidence thing you know. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Always. Just don't make the loop too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot is the only way to jig fish
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Great knot for jig fishing. Ditto the advice above

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast