Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Zebra mussels at Caesars Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Zebra mussels at Caesars Creek

Jim Robey of the Dayton Daily News reports that zebra mussels have become established at Caesars Creek. That's a popular crappie lake and I know many of you fish there along with other area lakes. CUSA holds annual tournaments there, too.
    PLEASE follow DNR protocol on cleaning your boat and trailer after fishing water infected with these insidious pests. Mussel larva can survive for a fairly long time in wet trailer bunks, water intakes on engines, and trailer lights. Drain your live wells and bilge at the lake you just fished, dry your trailer and boat,dump any water in bait buckets before going to another lake.

It's only a matter of time now before the other crappie lakes in SW Ohio have them. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Man this sucks. Like you said we just need to follow what the DNR tells us. I fished Alum Creek onetime and all I was pulling up were zebra mussels.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry I forgot about Alum Creek

I guess Alum Creek has had them for a while, but the paper said this was the first inland lake in SW Ohio to get them.
    These articles always target fishermen, but I wonder how much garbage gets transported between lakes by pleasure boaters and especially jet skis. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think Alum has had them for a while. I would bet that there is a lot that is moved about by both fishermen and pleasure boaters. The bad part is I don't think there are a whole lot of people that know or remember this stuff until well after the fact.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.