Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody make a decent case to hold rods while travelling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody make a decent case to hold rods while travelling?

I was wondering if there are any hard cases available? Not sure what to call them even so it makes it harder to search. Figured you guys might know. I'd like to be able to put some rods in the back of the truck, etc. without them breaking. I need one to fit a 7' baitcaster plus others. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking some 4" or larger pvc pipe with screw on caps, put some foam in the pipe ends, make just long enough so the rod doesn't slide end to end (and the foam to cushion), if the rods are 2 piece, etc., might be even better with a shorter piece of pvc pipe, and the 2 pieces of rod strapped together with a rubber band, then insert in the pipe, screw the cap on, done. would take a hit to break a rod in that, larger or smaller pipe depending on if a reel is attached or not, etc. You can find travel cases for fishing rods at cabelas and bps (search Plano airliner rod case).
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-05-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can make your own out of four inch PVC pipe, a latch,2 end caps, some foam padding and a large piano hinge. Cut the PVC and end caps, in half horizontally and screw in a piano hinge along the entire back. Glue foam in the end caps as well as the tube. Put a locking latch on the front.

For the bank fishermen you can make a quiver rod carrier from PVC electrical conduit.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting idea. What would you cut the pvc with?

Post Thanks / Like

Band saw or similar, just make a jig that keeps everything even. Have been working on this idea for about a month or two myself as I will be going back east to see some family and don't want my gear getting trashed.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZfisherdude View Post
    This is an interesting idea. What would you cut the pvc with?
    I use a hacksaw. If you have a woodshop you could use a band saw. I saw it on Bill Dance Outdoors a few years back.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I've four of em made out of PVC. Use the thinner walled stuff to keep the weight down. Glue a cap on one end and a clean out screw cap on other. Makes a cheap, effective carrier.
    "Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians."

Post Thanks / Like

We need some pics of these. Sounds really good.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto to what everyone else is saying here but...
    I used a Dremel Tool to cut the PVC with, used a little larger diameter pipe so I could keep my reels attached onto the poles, pop riveted a leather handle just where it balanced right at, and camafloged painted them with plastic/PVC paint (white, green and sand colors). It's fun. Sorry, no pics,,, don't even have a camera.
    Experiment a little, think about it a little and Google "make your own rod cases."
    Best part is I fished an entire year without breaking one of my graphites...Hands Clapping

Post Thanks / Like

What everyone is saying .... x5

PVC with screw in cap at one end and closed at the other. My Dad made a couple many years ago but used thicker PVC (he put it on to roof of the truck). Riveted a handle on it as well. Quite simple to make. It held rods and he had a separate case for reels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast