Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Battery

I know there has to be a thread on trolling battery on here, but I didn't find it. I am running
    a single group 27 Interstate that came on boat 4 yrs ago. It is still good, but want to put it in series with another on my creek boat, and replace it with 2 12volt deep cycle on tracker boat. I have just enough room for the 27's but want to know everyone's take on the best for money. The optima looks good but warranty, no good for blue top. The Trojan scs 200, and 225 is not bad, Interstate is good, but heavy.I am wiring them in series, have 12v motor, that came on Tracker boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you want to run them in parallel. In series you run the positive of one, to the negative of the other, and use the positive of the one not used in the battery connection to the positive of your motor, and same with the negative, but that is a 24VDC source. Parallel you run the positive of one battery to the positive of the other, same with negative, and then you can hook the positive of the motor to either battery positive, and the negative to either battery and you have a 12VDC source but with a LOT more reserve. If you have the room and want to really go nuts you can run 4 batteries, 2 in series and 2 in parallel to get a beefed up 24VDC source. Heck, you can fill your boat with batteries for that matter!

One battery is always going to work a little harder than the other, so using the same age, type, make, and model battery will minimize this and prolong the life of the batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Two batteries in series will give you 24V. You need to connect them in parallel.

I would not use a battery that's 4 years old in any combination with another one. You can end up damaging the new one.

Interstate/Delco/Duralast/Everstart/Motorcraft are all the same battery. The Everstart is far and away the most run time per dollar.

The Trojans are excellent batteries, as is the Diehard PM-1 in an AGM, but you'll pay for them. The Optima's are undersized for all but the smallest applications.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Group 27 for my starting battery and 2 D31M for my TM. I have had them 2 years and very happy with them and everyone I have spoke with had theirs like 6 or more years and still going.

My D31's are for a 24V TM.

My boat this year got stuck in the slings when the lake dropped and I still have not used it since last summer and no charge needed yet even with lots of clod weather this year. My boat house it's in is open on all 4 sides.

What is wrong with 24 months replacement?
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I knew how to hook them up, just got wrong word in front. Iwant to keep them 12v.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Let me re phrase this. I got my tang toungled up, and it didn't sound right. I have two boats same year, same trolling batteries. I want to pull batt. off of one and put with other in parallel. they are both nearly 4 yrs old. Then buy two trolling batteries, and wire them in parallel in bigger boat.The one 27 does good, but since it is time for it to go down, i want 2 back on. I know nothing about the gel bat's, but have plenty of experience with 27's and heavy batts. I am asking if there are any better batteries than the heavy 27's. I have just enough space by turning the 2 trolling 1/4 turn. Hope this helps.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If they aren't heavy, they won't last. Direct correlation between weight and capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Two batteries in series will give you 24V. You need to connect them in parallel.

I would not use a battery that's 4 years old in any combination with another one. You can end up damaging the new one.

Interstate/Delco/Duralast/Everstart/Motorcraft are all the same battery. The Everstart is far and away the most run time per dollar.

The Trojans are excellent batteries, as is the Diehard PM-1 in an AGM, but you'll pay for them. The Optima's are undersized for all but the smallest applications.
    So you think the Die Hard PM-2's are not that good? I had been considering them. Also you say that "Interstate/Delco/Duralast/Everstart/Motorcraft are all the same battery. The Everstart is far and away the most run time per dollar." Does that mean any of these are the most run time per dollar, or is the Everstart something special? I have recently had issues with Interstate, so I'll be buying something else, but this information may help others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    So you think the Die Hard PM-2's are not that good? I had been considering them. Also you say that "Interstate/Delco/Duralast/Everstart/Motorcraft are all the same battery. The Everstart is far and away the most run time per dollar." Does that mean any of these are the most run time per dollar, or is the Everstart something special? I have recently had issues with Interstate, so I'll be buying something else, but this information may help others.
    The PM-2 is a fairly small battery compared to the 205 minute capacity of the PM-1. Compare RC and weight and you'll find that within a technology (AGMs or conventional) you get about the same run time per pound of weight. AGMs are heavier per minute than conventional batteries.

Here's a brief rundown:

Optima 34M 120 minutes/43lb=2.8 minutes/lb
    Optima 31M 155 minutes/59.8lb=2.6 minutes/lb

Trojan SC225 225minutes/66lbs=3.4minutes/lb
    Cabela's AGM 205minutes/84lbs=2.44minutes/lb
    Diehard PM-1 205 minutes/75lbs=2.73minutes/lb
    Typical Grp 27 Conventional (Everstart, Interstate, Exide, Deka etc.) 180minutes/55lbs=3.27minutes/lb

The batteries mentioned in the previous post are identical, so the cheapest is the most run time per dollar. Customer service is the only thing that really distinguishes one brand from another.

Post Thanks / Like

That's some great information, someone has been doing their homework!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast